Spey Pages banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't want to hijack the previous thread, but I may have 'spotted' a problem why I've missed several fish of late (don't ask, it's been UGLY!:saevilw: )

Yesterday .... missed the first fish, no big deal, 'the "You're UUUUSUALY Sir?" Checked hooks, sharp as they could be. Missed the second fish ... "Not you're Uuuuusaual Sir?" Reel in, hooks sharp as they could be.

Missed the THIRD fish ..... ok, ok, what the hecks going on?????:saevilw:

Put leader (feather brick with a #12 Prince Nymph trailer) in the water and the PN (the one I'm sure 'they' actually hit) is laying FLAT in the current (as in what's to hook?:mad: ). Touch of skin, and nada.

Checked the knot (improved clinch) and it's coming right off the center of the ring. Still running flat in the current ... What the hell causes that?:saevilw: :saevilw: :tsk_tsk: :saevilw:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Fred, poor dressing chuck it out and tie another one. Always check the swim of the fly before fishing it, standard practice over here, I think Hugh Falkus even mentions it in his books.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi!! Use a non slip loop and a real fly!!! 4 inch black and purple,, set the hook and hang on........ Those little flies catch those little oregon< did i spell that right?> fish!!!!! Oh I forgot I live where the BIG fish live. Just kidding..We are getting snowed in and the Big fish are starting to come up the fraser>. should be a good cold DEC. The Best fish are always late!
cheers. Greg

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GB, I can BELIEVE you're getting snowed in!

Ashland's just going to catch the southern edge of this honker storm. Prediction is 3-5 inches of snow on the ground. No big deal ... save for I-5 starts its climb into the Sisqu's a couple miles south of me (edge of Mt. Ashland). If we get the norm up in the pass, suspect I'm going to see a lot of simi-trucks parked around our end of town.

Thanks Willie, similar info from a couple of fellows on the UK 'FFF' board. Just a bad tie ... ? Well, got these little buggers from Hills Discount Flys in Yakima, Wa. Interesting thing is Jim must do a very good business in the UK as I've seen him 'recommended' on several occasions. Taint the INTERNET great?

'Yakima, WA? ..... London calling.':D

The bummer part of missing fish of late is we're well into our 'B-run' fish passage. These fellows will 'average' twice the size of the normal summer fish and usually start showing up in numbers the very end of September through October. Run was right on time this year with a thousand fish per week going through the Gold Ray fish counter the first half of October. The other interesting thing is (statistically) there's still a lot of them to go.

You can (on line) get the fish count numbers over the past several years. The 'norm' is by the end of October we've still got roughly 15% of the run to come into the upper river. Based on that, that's an additional 800-1500 fish into the top 30 miles of river. Over all, looks like we're going to have a very good year 'run wise.'

·
JD
3,646 Posts
real flies

GB Spey said:
Hi!! Use a real fly!!! 4 inch black and purple
Contrary to what I have been told ever since moving up here, these fish will take regular flies. Even big string leeches. And you can get down enough without resorting to that %$#& sinker fly. It does not have to be on the bottom. But as in horse shoes hand grenades & dancing, close is good enough.:D

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

sometimes that's just the way the ball bounces. I usually manage 75% to 85% hooked to land ratio by the end of the season. But, I do have "streaks" for losing multiple fish. It gets evened out by the opposite - streaks of landing multiple fish. One tip you might try though... offset your hooks a bit, somewhere half way between 22 1/2 degrees and 0. May detract from the "classy" looks of your fly, but the results are worth it!

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Despite the miserable weather ..

hit the river to 'try' different knots with the same two fly 'rigging' yesterday PM.

Interesting thing is I tied on 5 different bead head PN's (all from the same batch of a dozen I'd purchased) ...... EVERY ONE of them lay flat in the current!:saevilw:

Driving mix of rain and snow (33-35 degrees) on the beach; even the dogs said "ENOUGH OF THIS SHXT!" after the second wave went over the bar.

·
JD
3,646 Posts
The Spey Gods

are not happy with you Fred. :tsk_tsk: In order to appease them and get the skunk as well as that nasty weather off your back, you are going to have to go through the same ritual I did a couple of years ago.

Go to the river & build a nice roaring fire. Sacrifice all of those PN's to the fire. Seal the deal by feeding the the river god, who now lives in that fire. He likes single malt Scotch.:lildevl: Toast the event by having a wee dram yourself. Repeat the process by throwing every ugly bug in your box into the fire and swearing never to use them again.:Eyecrazy: Feed the river god. And have another wee dram yourself.:razz:

Slangh (sp):D

·
Registered
62 Posts
JDJones said:
are not happy with you Fred. :tsk_tsk: In order to appease them and get the skunk as well as that nasty weather off your back, you are going to have to go through the same ritual I did a couple of years ago.

Go to the river & build a nice roaring fire. Sacrifice all of those PN's to the fire. Seal the deal by feeding the the river god, who now lives in that fire. He likes single malt Scotch.:lildevl: Toast the event by having a wee dram yourself. Repeat the process by throwing every ugly bug in your box into the fire and swearing never to use them again.:Eyecrazy: Feed the river god. And have another wee dram yourself.:razz:

Slangh (sp):D
He will never give up the PN and Ugly Bug combo, trust me, reminds me I need to tie more PNs:p :D Maybe a fire and some spirits but thats it.

Int

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interceptor, you obviously know me 'too well.' Dead on correct.

Interceptor said:
He will never give up the PN and Ugly Bug combo, trust me, reminds me I need to tie more PNs:p :D Maybe a fire and some spirits but thats it.

Int
If it 'ain't broke, don't fix it.' :D

Fred

·
Registered
19 Posts
It'll come around, eh?......

I know what you mean.

I was on the Babine this October and had a super trip. One day, I went 6 for 8. I was jazzed to say the least.

The following morning, I promptly began 0 for 5 in a two hour period. Then all was quiet on the western front until about 4 pm that afternoon. That's when a guide cruised by in his boat and asked, "How's it going?"

I replied, "I got spanked today!"

And then he gave me the very best advice by far saying, "That's steelheadin, eh. It'll come around." and then meandered on down the river.

His wise reply made me smile just a bit, and the JUJU, which I firmly believe in, returned with a tug. 1 for 6, and that one made the day!

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Though you can burn all of your flies, you might try attaching them to your tippet with a double Turle knot. They should swim a lot better. I had this trouble swinging soft hackles for trout. They would turn on their side and plane on the surface with a normal clinch knot, regardless of the hook they were tied on. The switch to the turle knot eliminated the problem.

Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.