Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got back from the GL Clave. As far as I am concerned – and I think everyone who attended feels the same way – it was a great success. Weather was great; turnout was far higher than anticipated; literally everyone who was there was a pleasure to be with; and I was able to confirm what I had suspected going in to the clave – I am a klutz when it comes to fishing a two-handed rod. Hope, however, springs eternal. With the instruction provided by Neal, Juro, and Bob, I may remain a klutz, but hopefully will understand what I am doing wrong.

Thanks to Ty, Neal, Juro and I don’t know whomever else, there was a truly amazing array of spey set-ups available to try out. I leave it to Dan to post the well deserved “thanks yous” to all the folks who provided the equipment, instruction, and otherwise helped to make the clave the success it was.

Last, but not least, it should be beyond cavil (that’s one of my favorite hoity-toity words), that Dan did a bang-up job. If that guy who kept bad-mouthing Dan and questioning his sincerity and ability to perform was among the group, he didn’t introduce himself. The event proved that Dan can handle himself very well and I, for one, am happy he had the idea for the clave and followed through so competently in pulling it off.

CK

P.S.

I think Hal may have left his love at the altar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I must say Dan must be growing up...I am NOT the person who bashed him BUT I can confirm that he was nothing but trouble on www.michigan-sportsman.com Good job Dan and please don't let it go to your head...I have fished with you and you are a good kid...Just be thankful for a sucessful outing and fish and have fun...I was up that way but didn't know or I woulda stopped by and said hello!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd like to offer a big thank you to Dan and all involved in organizing the Great Lakes Clave. I met a few new faces, saw a few old friends and aquaintances and picked up some good advice on casting. I spent more time than I expected at the clave and enjoyed it. It was nice to hear folks so highly compliment the Muskegon - sometimes I don't realize how spoiled I am. Thanks to all who showed up too. A nice time all around.

Mark in West Michigan

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well Well Well....

GREAT LAKES SPEY CLAVE

Well all I can say right now is.....WOW!:hehe:

It was an amazing success and was a blast. I couldn't believe the turnout, there had to be close to 50 people at the event from the start to the finish. I had too much fun and learned alot from many people. I met many new faces and got to mingle with the ones I already knew. We had plenty of toys to cast and play around with(yes PMflyfisher, even the popular 12' 5wt was there....did you cast it?) You couldn't of asked for a better day, sunny and 70degs with a slight wind. We had a great demo by Neil as he went over the switch, double, single, snake roll, circle and snap-t casts. Juro's fundamental spey cast techniques were just what many needed to see on how to put less effort forth into spey casting and how to make spey casting easy. Many casters took part to help others and try out the rods/lines we had with us. Peter S-C did a fine job casting, I watched him for a while. Some got to witness SilverDoc(Bob) from Milwaukee as he showed off some of the best spey patterns I have ever seen. The barbecue we had in the afternoon was just awesome, it definitly hit the spot. Plenty of food and it was all good. MJYP cooks some mean brauts and dogs!:D The day didn't end there! We had raffles on several hats/shirts and a Windcutter Flyline and a Rio Spey Casting Video as well. It was funny how the two people who kept in the water(Juro and Peter S-C) both won a prize....must of been rigged, just kidding. I also would like to mention how funny it was when some snagger drifted by right through the run we were fishing/casting. It was so funny how the 2 men thought they could take all of us on....that's Michigan for ya, we have our fair share of redneck, snaggers here and there. I am glad Ted, MJYP and Neil scared them off!:D:D Everything was perfect and went well as planned.

I just want to thank everyone for participating and offer my genoroisty for making this event what it was. I hope it was worthwhile and you guys will attend next year(I got an offer from a few sponsers to host another). I would like to give a special thanks to a few people for what they did to make this event possible:

Great Lakes Flyfishing Co. - Tyson Webb provided about 90% of the equipment that was availible for usage. He really went out of his way to make this event great. Thanks alot Ty.

Rio and Scott - Simon Gawesworth sent Jerry Darkes to fly the flag for Rio. Jerry also brought Scott rods that he has a contract with. Thanks to him for his effort, and for the donated items they provided for the raffle. Oh yeah, I can't forget to mention Jerry brought my favorite new rod, the Scott SAS 15' 10wt with a Grand Spey on it....it was a powerhouse of a rod.

Neil and Juro - With the Milwaukee Boys not able to attend, you guys put on a show on the spey casts and fundamentals. Without you guys, many people may have not learned as much as they did.

MJYP, Terry, and Charles(Smolt) - Thanks to all of you for the help with the grub. The B-B-cue was perfect, and I really owe it to you for coming through on the grill, ice, food/condiments and plates/silverware.

Well, I can't say much more. This event was a highlight in my life, thanks for helping out so much. I thank you guys for crediting me, but it wasn't just me, I just organized it, called the sponsers and made an attempt to make the event possible. Without this site and the people who helped and attended, it wouldn't be possible. Thanks again.

Pics are coming later, please post them if you have them. I got a few good shots.

Well what am I going to look foward to now? The fishing up there wasn't the best for me, hopefully you guys caught some fish. The season is almost done and I don't want to target trout yet. I guess I will try to do a little more steelheading if I can find them. Surfing might be the key......

Thanks alot everyone!:p

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
First Class Speyclave on the Muskegon

With complete sincerity I have to say I was blown away by the quality of the upper river, the camaraderie of the spey brothers in attendance, and the enjoyment provided by letting loose some casts in the bright sunshine, learning from others, and sharing with others a little where possible.

Dan, Neal, Mark, Doug and all who instigated, attended and saw this event through - thanks and kudos. You've done the Speyclave and Forum proud that's for certain! Awesome event, and I'm really glad I didn't miss this one.

As I arrived, Neal "Spey Laddie" Houlding was gracefully laying every possible permutation of spey cast with either hand up or down and in every possible direction into the water with his impressive Scottish accent (authentic mind you) it was quite the show.

The park was truly a theater for spey casting, in fact I am kicking myself for not having a camcorder. The spot was as photogenic for right bank casting as any spot I've been to; truly perfect with the grassy bluff and the trees to tie the rod rope to.

As I started to put names to faces, it became clear beyond any shadow of a doubt that we have a rockin' spey community in the great lakes around a very strong fishery. Everything we can do as a unified group to build the GL Spey momentum will make a big difference.

Ty - Your contribution to the cause was greatly appreciated by all. Your rope was the key to having all the rods at the ready and man, rods you did have!

Dan, great job dude! If you are getting this much going at your age, I can only imagine what you'll be doing as an old fart like me! And man what New England has in seafood bounty, the midwest makes up for in quality meats! Amazing barbq lunch. Mark, you are a true grillmaster and the canoe is a nice touch (will post photo).

For those who attended the Sunday clave Dan ;) the Wisconsin boys did show, and put on quite an aerial display with their reverse snap tee laser beams. I was converted from unconvinced about reverse casting (I throw left hand up on right bank upriver wind) but could not ignore the effectiveness of the loop form it generates against the wind and with some work had it working without too much trouble. It was just a matter of finding the lane reaching across and the line speed in the wedge is phenomenal.

To the Wisconsin Boys (Dave, Steve) - I can't thank you enough for the great float down the upper Muskegon. It really was astounding to see miles and miles of active redds with fish on them. It's too bad not everyone passes them unmolested as we did.

The quality of the water and gravel moraine that the river glides over is tremendous and I can see why it's so successful in production of fish. I hope next time we can spend more than a couple of hours with the lines in the water together but it was primo time and I am indebted.

For those who attended that are still students of spey casting like me, I hope I have influenced you to include the "Spey Foundations" into your practice regimen.

Highlights (in no particular order):
- Watching Hal meet the brunette 5120 after all the love chat
- Neal's brilliant presentation on spey casting
- Wisconsin boys casting abilities and style
- Putting faces to the names
- Floating the upper river with Dave and Steve (of da WI gang)
- Doug's humor and direct approach to life
- Winning $4.75 from Doug for giving the gift of d-loop :hehe:
- John's rennaisance approach to spey fishing
- Silver Doc's creations at the vise
- Casting Peter S-C's Almtoor
- Mike's unique casting methods
- Terry's fly keeper trick
- Smolt's enthusiasm and conversation
- Learning the reverse snap-laser beam cast
- MJYP - Man were them brots good!

... and many more highlights I am surely forgetting...

I arrived alone with much interest and the promise of meeting online acquaintances from this region; I left with many new friends and a newborn appreciation for yet another region where the centuries old traditions of the spey thrive. I can't wait to return!

Juro
www.cndspey.com

·
Registered
235 Posts
ahhh....

Since I was only there in the morning on Sunday I must have missed the Milwaukee Boys. Wish I could have been there to witness them, but I had to get home.

It was a blast, thanks again guys.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Dan -

My hats' off to you, you did an excellent job and I hope we can get out and work some steelhead water together someday soon!

Juro

·
Registered
235 Posts
yep....

Thanks for coming in to attend the clave. Your efforts on the fundamentals to easy spey fishing was awesome. Oh yeah, check your PM box.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello everybody yes it was great time even if i missed half of it and was sick most of the time . the people i met were great and so were there casts Neil and Juro are great teachers . Also thanks for the complments i am looking forward to next time.

ps the CND rods were great i loved the 13 " 8 wt custome green
this rod will be a great lakes canon as well as anywhere else.

also Juro you and Steve and Terry coverd the water well i will fish you guys anytime.

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Well Gentlemen.
What can I say,Fantastic weekend.Great bunch of guys.
Thankyou for the kind words.Once we broke through the language barrier,I think we did o/k.
Credits to Dan,he came through.Good job lad,same again next year.
Thanks to all that helped with the B-B-Que,especially Mark and Paul.The canoe was a neat touch,the sausage weren't bad either.
It was really interesting meeting new friends.When I first rolled into town on Thur.I met Mark,Doug and Mike at the motel.I think the piss taking started shortly after that.
Friday morning we went to Henning Park and met our new friend John.We weren't to sure at first what to think of this guy with the shirt and tie on.Turns out he's also a great guy.
I would personally like to thank Doug for showing me the "Farmer's Flip",awesome:devil:
I was amazed at all the talent there.Juro did a wonderfull job with his presentation,yes I am going to steal some of it for my future presentations,if asked to do so.I would be amiss not to mention Dave and Steve.WOW:eyecrazy: I could have watched those guys all day.
Ty and Jerry did an awesome job bringing all their gear along,thanks guys.
A little mention about the Machine,Mike.I'm sure if we all practiced and put as much time in as Mike we would be there in no time at all.Great stuff Mike.
I can honestly and sincerely say I learnt an awfull lot.You guys opened my eyes to some good stuff.I look forward to passing this on to the spey guys up here.
If I have missed anybody with my thanks,I apologize.Everyone involved did a stellar job.
I hope you guys can make it to our clave in October.I will post the web site when its up and running.
Thanks for having me.
Regards Speyladdie.:smokin:

·
Registered
235 Posts
yes sir.....

You did a fine job casting, hats off to your sir. The Scottish accent was very appropriate for the clave, I enjoyed it quite well.;) Lets get the October Clave rolling, I hope I can make it!:rolleyes:

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Good stuff Mark.Keep the pics coming.Leave out the Fat limmey ones!!!
Speyladdie:smokin:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am new at the forum stuff, so I hope I don't mess up too much.

Just wanted to add my thanks to all those involved to setting up the GL Clave. It was a lot of fun. Great casting. Great food. Great weather. Great day!

I saw quickly how much help my casting needed and so did Neil.

A speical Thanks to Neil who came right in the river to help me.

I am watching the video I won and pricticing over at the lake. I hope to be a better caster and make it to the October Clave.

To all Thanks Again

Stephen
[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good show!

Super job Dan! Just wanted to thank you for getting this all together. I hope we can make next year even better. Also a big thanks to the guys that helped me break the rods down and clean up Sunday night. It was a bit of a job.

Ty

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ty, Thanks for coming out...the rods and reels you brought made a huge difference in the clave! Thanks for coming out...I hope the clave will be even better next year!!! Maybe we can do some fishing some time.

[email protected]

Drew

·
Registered
235 Posts
nice pics....

MJYP, what would we do without you. Thanks for the pics. Oh yeah, you know I really wanted to win that auction....LOL:D

I'll post a few of mine soon as well, I don't know how to do it like yours. I'll send them to you if so or drop you a PM.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the great pictures. I had a great time at the clave. Once again thank you Dan et.al. for all the organization. It will be hard to top this 2003 clave. I am already looking forward to 2004.
Terry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts