Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im using Hatch braid as backing and SA absolute mono running line. The IFGA says that the GT knot is the strongest knot for attaching braid to mono so I'm gonna give it a try. Has anyone else used this knot? Thanks, Rob

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,118 Posts
I've never seen it before, but I like the looks of it, and it's dead simple to tie.

Thanks for that.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And with a little uv knot sense its a pretty small profile and slides through the guides really easy. Rob

·
Registered
133 Posts
The GT looks good- I wanted to test it and the PR Bobbin knot this winter but life got in the way.

First, some disclaimers: I've never tied the GT knot (it looks good, I also want to check out the PR Bobbin knot), I have never used Hatch braid or SA Absolute, and am not sure how comfy I am offering you my opinion, Rob!

That said, I have tied a few knots over the years and often find the hardest part is figuring out what is needed to tie a really good Bimini twist in a given type and weight of braid.

Unless you've already mastered tying Biminis in that specific backing, I would suggest doing some experimenting to find out how many turns the material you are using likes, and how it likes to be tied off. Then give the final one a good workout before committing to the GT.

Also, flat mono doesn't always tie like round mono. So- test, test, test.

"A bad knot tied well, is better than a good knot tied bad."

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All i know is i put a pretty heavy tug on it and the place it broke was behind the triple surgeons loop that was tied on the other end of the mono running line . this is 68Lb hatch backing and 50Lb SA absolute running line. The GT knot held just fine. i consider it another knot in the arsenal. I've used the albright knot the double nail knot the FG knot in the same mono to braid application and all have held up in fishing situations. my 15lb maxima tippet was always the first to fail. But I'll admit the GT knot is so simple to tie its basically a uni knot tied against a figure eight.You can read about the IFGA test online, I would say it was a pretty scientific test much more so than my big a$$ just tugging on it to point of failure. Rob

·
Registered
133 Posts
What you say makes sense- thanks for pointing this stuff out, Rob. I just tried the GT knot (with Knot Sense): very nice!

I read the 2018 IGFA test (I don't know if it was the latest?) I noticed a number of the samples had the Bimini either fail around ~60% to ~70%; or it didn't fail at all. I have a real love/hate relationship with Bimini twists. I've never lost a line or shooting line/head due to a knot failure but I've seen it happen to others a few times and it was no fun.

Interesting test. I want to give the PR bobbin knot a spin (har har). I usually use loop to loop connections on SH lines but it might be a good knot for a permanent fly line to braided backing connection.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive watched the PR Bobbin knot be tied and its a great looking knot but i wouldn't want to be in a hurry to tie it. Plus I'd lose the bobbin tool the guy used to tie it with. I'm sure there's a way to tie it with out the bobbin tool but give me simple, fast, and strong and I'll opt for that every time. Rob

·
Too far away
124 Posts
An interesting knot. It’s a nice knot for a permanent connection of Backing and line. I love the Uniknot in every adapted constellation.
I for myself prefer loop to loop connections, also between Backing to Shootingline/runningline. I like to change runninglines too much, depending on fishing situations (spliced loops in the backing and coated lines or Perfection loop in Mono).
This would be different with an integrated line of course and an additional spool.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
When you're talking about a 15.00 mono running line its nothing to cut off an inch of running line and retie a knot. Personnaly i think the GT knot with a little knot sense is a smoother transition but like with everything else its what ever you like to use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts