Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bob Meiser (R B Meiser a spon. on the board) has blessed me with a FAB NEW BOY TOY!!

Bob's got a new spey blank rated as a 6/7 (I'd say more of a 7.5 :hehe: ) and it's a wonderful rod to cast. Ran it through 4 different lines today to find a good match.

The 'short head-standard?' Airflo 6/7 is a good match, but only out to about 70' of line plus leader. Put on a 7wt TT and we're at 80-90 feet; the 6/7 xlt was a complete dud for me on the rod.

But! the xlt 7/8 and ZOOM!!! Actually hit the rocks on the far beach at Denmon three times before I reeled in a bit of line. (Fish are sitting as far away from you as you can get with the water flows. Hugging the far beach on many runs, so it's get to the other beach where folks aren't/can't fish or forget it. Which is dummer than what ever as they've got zero pressure on them over most of the river of late.

We'll have the rod "available" for play time at the Reunion, and if the BobMeister does as instructed, several of his other rods for the folks to work with over the weekend.

If you've not seen one of Bob's rods you have a treat in store; his finish work can only be described as 'custom rod building.' Which is how he does it in this converted garage. Custome rods, at far less than custom price.

And no, he didn't pay me a dime (yet :devil: ) for the heart felt "plug.'' Really Good Stuff comes out of this fellows home.
fae

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The 'fredmeister' has a new toy!

So what is the length and Bob's rating on the rod re Euro or Standard? How many sections are there?

Did you try any of the Rio lines with the rod?

What types of leaders and lengths?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The number of two handers you own is SICK!

Well, I would have used the word 'demented?':hehe: No, sorry, that's what Joan calls it. Actually have another spey rod coming from Inland.
fae

Bob calls the rod a "S2H Spey at 13'6". Bob's initial thought is this rod would be for 6/7 line weights, Interesting thing is with WF lines this seems to hold up pretty well. With long taper lines the rod worked better 'up-lined' by one.

Actually, no to the question of the RIO lines as I don't have any this light. But suspect a mid-spey would also be a good match for this blank; thought being that it worked well with the 6/7 Airflo so a similar MS would/could be a very nice match.

I'll check with Bob to see if he has one of these lines he could lend me for a day.

Leaders (all flo-carb) started out at about 17-18 foot, but ended up closer to 13-14 for better turn over.

Grandson's are up this week end and this was just their second 'exposure' to fishing with Spey's. Was interesting on the water yesterday as I brough 6 different rods for them to work with over the course of the day (match 'kid' to a rod). The two that were the 'clear winners' were the 7-8-9 Burkie (xlt line) and the S2H of Bob's (again, a xlt line).
fae

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Fred are these leaders the same for the entire length or do you have a formula?

Leaders (all flo-carb) started out at about 17-18 foot, but ended up closer to 13-14 for better turn over.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GS, they're all step-down leaders.

I use FC main line, save for a short butt section of 25-30 pound Maxima main line (want the extra stiffness).

Keith Jackson sent me several spools of FC main line to play with and the 'formula' that works for me is 20# to 17# to 14# to 10# for winter work (12# for larger fly's). For lighter rods/smaller flys I'll skip the 20# and put in 12# to 10# to 8# for a tippet. Depending upon where I want to end up, each step down will be about a 3 to 3.5 foot section. (Very "scientific" way of measuring: middle of my chest out to the end of one arm. :>) )

Shorter leader, I keep the same proportions, just shorten each run.
fae

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
"Keith Jackson sent me several spools of FC main line to play with."

What pray tell is FC main line? Does Keith have any more for trying and testing?

I do the same scientific thing that you do with leaders, chest, gut size or arm size.

A former friend doesn't speak to me any more. He used to had out these engineering perfect formulas for leaders like 32.78323 centimeters of 7X connected to 32. 543221 connected to 6X at our fly club meetings. Everyone but the other engineers were bored to death.

Finally I asked him if he ever fished with these leader formulas?

He said yes? Then I asked if the water conditions, wind conditions, water depth, water temp and general humidity were the same each day that we fished? He said no, and I said why didn't he have a Kray computer program to calculate these variable into his formulas for each unique day and minute. No more formulas are handed out, and he doesn't speak to me any more. Two blessings for one remark.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What pray tell is FC main line? Does Keith have any more for trying and testing?

GS, sorry you had to ask the question twice. Keith (among other things) is an out door writer (tough job, but someone's got to do it) so he gets 'things' at cost or supplied for testing I'd suspect.

The fluorocarbon line (brand) he sent me is "silver thread." For leaders, most southern Oregon folk just use straight maxima main line, save for possibly the tippet section. The extra stiffness of regular line promotes a better transfer of energy out over long leaders/heavy flys. Regular leader material has a great tendency (personal experience) to collapse for us 'average caster types.'

Other thing that I like about using fluorocarbon is it appears to sink faster than regular mono. A good thing given you're trying to get your fly down as fast as possible and keep it there.

Doubt this would make much difference to a good caster .... but that I 'tain't.' :hehe:

Anyway, if you'd like me to make up a 'test leader' for you, zip me a pm with your name/address/length you want and wt of tippet to use. No big deal as it takes a grand total of maybe 10 minutes to make one up. Forgot to add: to connect the sections I just use a tripple loop water knot.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
13ft 6/7???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Sounds right up my ally light ,long and I hope quick.

:confused:

Fred are you going to share????????????????

:smokin:

Might like to give it a Go at the October Clave.

:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Freds' new toy

Gee Fred,

I'd like to buy a new rod....someday.....if I had the money....but I'll be glad to try yours out for you. I don't feel too bad though, I bought a new pontoon boat for this upcoming trip.
Jims

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wellllll ... if you Promise! to be 'good boys' ...

(now there's an oxymoron for you!) you can play with my toys out side.

Side by side, I suspect most folks would prefer Bob's rod to the sage 7136 for it's casting qualities.
fae

·
JD
3,609 Posts
New toy

Hey Fred, how about bringing this new rod and the 7136 next time out so we can do a side by side comparison? I have my reels back and one of them is spooled up with a new 6/7 XLT.

><///('>
JD

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Done deal Jimmie!

On the 6/7 xlt line, this line (for me anyway) just doesn't have what it takes to load this rod. Which is interesting as Bob lent me a 6/7 airflo and it did quite a good job. Go figure? Wt. Forward vs. a long taper line.

However, the 7/8 xlt is a zoomer of a line on this rod. Can't recall off the top of my head: do you have the light GrandSpey? This is one I'd like to try out on the rod.
fae

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Grand Spey

You have the lightest Grand Spey that I had, the 8/9

><///('>
JD

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sigh .. well so much for that.

"Think" RIO has a GS lighter than that (haven't peeked at their site) and it might be an interesting match.
fae

One way or the other, the 'new toy, ' along with the 7136, will be in the "Fishing Ford" when we hit the river one evening this week.
fae

1 - 15 of 15 Posts