Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding for whatever reason I'm not getting a good forward stroke on 2/3 or 3/4 casts. The last few days I've spent hours just roll casting (some on the water some in my yard). I need to get the wife out in the yard with me and video me up close to see where it's going wrong.

The main problem I'm having... Well the most frustrating part I'm trying to drop my elbow together keeping everything in close and really engaging the bottom hand. The part that's frustrating is at least 1 out of 4 load up perfectly, I can feel it through the entirety of the stroke and it rolls out a super tight loop. For the life of me I can't figure out or differentiate what I'm doing the other 3 times.

At this point the only thing that I can think of. Maybe I'm not getting enough lift with my arms before the forward stroke causing the tip to roll over instead of tracking on a plane first. Or maybe at the end of the back cast the rod is at the wrong angle too flat.

Are there any visual clues I should be aware of, the way the line rolls out. Or if I can or can't see anything in my peripheral before making the forward stroke?

If I can figure it out I'll have the Mrs. Film me tomorrow and post it on here for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
What is the fly line doing? If it's going all over the place the rod tip is going all over the place, the line follows the the rod tip path.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,752 Posts
On the back stroke is your top hand going past your ear? If it is it shouldn't. :|
Take a look at that for a start, video would really help:wink2:

·
Drags are for Sissys
308 Posts
Self diagnosis can be tuff and sometimes take 10x longer than having someone watch (or a video). Just a quick thought, as you are trying to keep everything close to you are you by chance not keeping your hands out in front of you a bit so you can pull in with the bottom hand and down with the top hand? Perhaps try some simple overhead casting; sometimes changing the cast can reveal more.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
On the back stroke is your top hand going past your ear? If it is it shouldn't. :|
Take a look at that for a start, video would really help:wink2:
I had the same question, and followed this advice. Super helpful

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,752 Posts
Force yourself to pay all your attention to the butt of the rod rather than the tip and the bottom hand rather than the top.
Bottom hand is the motor and top hand is the steering wheel for the rod tip and line follows rod tip so not really sure where your going with this:|

·
Registered
12 Posts
What do the failed casts look like? That is, are the casts collapsing? If you are watching the D loop form and it looks good and you feel the rod loading, a hesitation before the cast stroke might be causing the D loop to begin collapsing. Without rushing things, try starting the D loop sweep slowly, and accelerate a bit through the D loop-forming-arc and go right into the cast with no hesitation. Also, be sure that you have a good weight match of MOW tip or sink tip or polyleader for the specific shooting head you are using so that the anchor is not below the water surface.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
curious what line system you are using - what your hands arms and body should be doing can be a bit different depending on line type you are trying - long belly, mid belly, short heads

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm using a Beulah Platinum 6126 with a Beulah Tonic 425gr Skagit head that's 24' long and 10' of T8. I guess I'm not super concerned with my D loop, I'm practicing in my yard just throwing the line behind me. Just to work on my forward stroke. When the cast fails ( I hate using the word fail, in my case it isnt a tight loop/without power) it's almost always a bigger loop, I think it's only collapsed a handful of times. I'm convinced it's my tip rolling over. It's just frustrating trying to self diagnose when it's such slight adjustments.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
If you let the line land to ground behind you it is enough to ruin the line loop! I recommend you remove the tip and put 7ft of thick mono leader to the belly end and tie very big fluff to it and do oval casting practice. About 30 second sets concentrating smooth casting and good line loop and then you can finish and cast forward and increase line shoot little at a time. After the cast roll rod clockwise if you cast right hand up and counter clockwise if you cast left hand up to remove line twist.

Oval casting is good because its tracking remains a Switch Cast and it becomes the Switch Cast when back cast is done bit slower and a pause is done and line is let land. Then after few sessions you can put the tip and do more practice with it.

Esa

1 - 12 of 12 Posts