Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently reading The Earth is Enough by Harry Middleton, it is a really good read. The friend who gave to me half-jokingly called it the 'greatest book ever written", I don't know about that, but it is a pretty damn good philosophy book that focusses on fishing for trout.

It is not a how to/where to book, rather a book about the forming of personal ethics. It relates how a 12 year old boy is placed in the care of two old men on their hardscrabble Ozarks farm and learns from them the wonders of being one with the earth. To me, it speaks to some of the reasons I fish - and with regularity it leaves me smiling - as I put the book down and walk away saying "yep, that's right".

Here are a couple of quotes from the book, the first is my favorite from Uncle Albert, who said (trying to give fair warning to his young charge), "Take up the fly rod, and the shotgun, and before you know it, you're an outcast, a social leper, rejected by your family, despised by your neighbors, mistrusted by your community." And the quote that pretty much encapsulates the life of the old men is the question, "Should any man turn his back on ambition, profit, security, and a parking place in the city, just to pursue a fish?"

I am enjoying this book immensely, so much so that I am purposely reading it only a few pages at a time, it is a small book and I want it to last as long as possible.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wait 'til you read the other book I gave you (Fly Fishing Through the Mid-life Crisis" by Raines. It's gotta be the best book ever.

Poul

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Poul,

I have that in my library and it has been 6-8 years since I read it. I will have to give it another go.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
mjyp,

Yep, I read Raymond's book - it's good - and was worth the 2nd read as well! :smokin:

Poul, are you suggesting I am going through a mid-lfe crisis:Eyecrazy: ? Sheesh a guy buys a new truck and he's all of a sudden having a mid-life crisis....

·
Registered
599 Posts
Great book!!

Kush,

The book you are reading is great! I have read at least six times. The rest of Harry Middleton's books are also very good.

Rphelps:smokin:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Poul, Kush
I was told that it usually happens at the 40 year mark, when a man is faced with two choices: change the wife or buy a new truck:chuckle:
Kush is a bit behind with his "mid life crisis" but he picked the good one:D
and to make it complete, learn from the book you're reading and " turn your back on ambition, profit....a parking in the city...", "become an outcast, a social leper" and move to the "steelhead country"!:lildevl: (hope Fishy won't read this:Eyecrazy: )

·
Hall Monitor
497 Posts
George:

Guess who found the truck.:razz: :razz: :chuckle:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts