Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share a fly that I've recently been having some success with. This pattern is a color variation of my pattern the "Daybreaker", but darker.

I've really fell in love with this style of fly lately. It has it all... flashy body that adds "glow", PB underwing for more flash, marabou and featherwings for action, and JC sides that really stand out. (sorry for the crummy phone pics)

This fly holds up well and catches fish. Recipe is listed below.

Here's the pattern for those interested:

Hook: McNeese Blue heron
Butt: small flat silver tinsel
Tail: Bleached and dyed UV blue GP tippet Strands
Body: Med. Flat silver tinsel
Rib: Fine silver wire, wound close
Underwing: Black PB, with UV blue PB over
Hackle: Two turns of black "spey" marabou
Collar: Black Schlappen
Throat: UV blue dyed teal
Wings: 4 UV blue dyed badger variant hackle tips.
Sides: Jungle Cock.

I've also been tying these using Veevus gelspun, thanks to a tip from BigWilly. You can really crank down hard on the polar bear to keep it from slipping, and never have to worry about thread breakage. It is really great stuff.

Aaron

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,683 Posts
Will try to

Repeat this tie, I am sure not as nice

Thansk for posting your patterns along with your flies

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I try to fish as much as I can (you know, product R & D).

It was very cold in the morning where I was fishing. Hence the woolies. I've got poor circulation in my hands so I always have the wool gloves close at hand.

I'll try to post a purple version of this same fly, and the feathers I've been using for the wings soon.

Aaron

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
I've also been tying these using Veevus gelspun, thanks to a tip from BigWilly. You can really crank down hard on the polar bear to keep it from slipping, and never have to worry about thread breakage. It is really great stuff.

Aaron
Use GSP pretty much exclusively, yes even the full dress and speys. not a better tying thread IMO. Using to dub loop spin fur it one of the finest ways to use that thread.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Outstanding Aaron.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts