Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had some of my best days fishing patterns that had this color combo, especially when the water is up a little bit, and has that green, almost cloudy appearance. This is tied on a #1 McNeese. Pattern below for those interested.

The Daybreaker:

Tag: Flat silver tinsel
Tail: Pink GP crest
Body: Flat silver tinsel
Rib: Silver wire
Underwing: Natural PB with Pink PB over
Hackle: Hot pink Marabou
Collar: Pink and Shrimp Schlappen
Wing: 4 Cerise hackle tips
Cheeks: Jungle Cock
Head: Hot Pink

Aaron

·
Registered
359 Posts
That has winter runs all over it.... quick question... did you wrap the marabou from mid body and counterrib with the wire or did you tie it as a collar?
Thanks for posting.
John

PS GP is awesome..... totally changed my opinions of working with the stuff!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Really digging your flies Aaron - especially the recent posts have inspired a bunch of Mcneese steezey ties for my winter box...Also glad a lot of your patterns use accessible materials which won't break the paypal account!

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,877 Posts
Many Thanks

For allowing me to view and the pattern to boot....

Great ties

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys. A note on the materials....

The Marabou is wound as a collar. I find it makes the fly too long, if I start it in the mid-body, and I fear I might get short strikes.

Also, if you don't have Polar Bear, you could always use white skunk, arctic fox, or even white marabou would look good.

If you look very closely, you'll see the JC is of very poor quality, and as is the case with most of my tying materials, I use the junk that I can't sell through my shop for my own tying, just so it doesn't go to waste.

Aaron

·
Registered
895 Posts
Gorgeous, Aaron!

Pink was never a go to color for me, and until now, I've really never seen a tie that would make me re-think that!

Inspiration!!!!

Thanks,

-Bill

·
Registered
328 Posts
Very "pretty" and "dainty" combine to look like a damn aggressive winter pattern. Extremely well done.
CA

·
Registered
997 Posts
Aaron.
looks more like a DayMaker to me!
Cheers.
J

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Aaron:

Expertly dressed and oh so elegant and graceful. Although I rarely use these colors, on my one trip to Alaska, cerise was the go to color for fresh chum salmon

gotz

1 - 20 of 23 Posts