Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jin posted a few classic patterns done in his own style at the end of last year. It prompted me to have a go at classics but bring my own spin and a more practical and durable fishing approach to the builds. It started with the Green Doctor and the Bonne Bouche. now I am finding momentum with this sort of tying, and I tried a Butcher, at least as difficult as the Bonne Bouche to tie.

Tied on 1/0 Partridge iron:

I did some things different as needed. I wanted to emphasize the tippet and GP shoulder underwing which meant doing the over wing sparse. But sparse married wings don't do it for me so i went for a mixed look. I like the overall effect. The green parrot (sub dyed goose) and guinea are tied as slightly shorter sides because Timo did this and I thought it was sexy.

I choose to stick with claret theme in the fly for the head instead of boring black, and I did it full with spun seal for that flowing effect.

the ribbing is not my usual ordering. I went flat then hackle then oval. I saw a fly tied this way that had quite a cool look. I however did not pull it off and in the future will use a different configuration.

Here's a couple more shots to see it in action:

and the money shot:

·
Registered
53 Posts
classics...

Wish I knew what makes those flies so appealing to me.......... Always love folks trying different approaches to the fly tying of some really great originals.
i guess it is the beauty of the fly that attracts me to the and the art and skill it takes to tie one. concur about water shot..

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,183 Posts
Keep it up Matt! You're the brass ring.

Very inspiring indeed!

·
Administrator
20,342 Posts
Spectacular my friend !!
Great tying ... love it when tyers put their own spin on proven patterns !! It's like a breath of fresh air , a change up is nice . You held true to the pattern , just tweaked it a little here and there . Anyone can easily look at this fly and say it's a Butcher ... just pimped a little :smokin:
The shot in the water brings it altogether my friend ... that fly swims on it's own !!

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.