Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who does a body pivot when they speycast?

I find that rods like my Hexagraph and 18' daiwa really like the body pivot, but faster rods don't seem to need/like it as much.

Any of you speymasters care to enlighten me/us on the ways of the body pivot?

Best-

Joe

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
hoooie

or, let's see,,dig up some hillbilly here,,,whooohie!,,the bigboy Daiwaia seems to make the body pivot,and shake ,shudder,convulse,grunt,sweat,laugh outloud,giggle,,,ah hell,it's better than sex,,,i can do it longer anyway,so it can't be a bad thing!,,no `speymaster' here,,but it does seem with longer,full action rods,not `tipppy' i get more change of direction easier,,i'm sure there's a difference in the stroke to compensate,,but,,can't remember tonight,it just seems my faster rods don't give me as much CoD with a similar amount of effort,,the swing tip i call it,,and the Daiwa Whisker 18,whoooie!,,,,where IS that rod anyway?:hehe:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Joe,

I find the use of body pivot when forming the upstream loop of a double spey or the D Loop of a single spey is almost madatory when using the extended belly lines and casting 80+ feet of line in order to move all that belly and not wear yourself out in a short time. The body pivot helps me to move a lot of belly without killing my arms, wrists, or shoulders, and it allows me to cast hour after hour with the extended belly lines without wearing myself out.

However, I have the that when casting the short and mid-belly lines, the body pivot is not needed to prevent fatigue like it is with the extended belly lines.

A word of caution though to those who have not been using a body pivot to move the line into the upstream loop, your lower back muscles will feel it by the end of the day because of the muscles not being used to the motion or use in this way. This goes away with continued usage, just like any other muscle does with use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts