Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is tied for Marty's Golf Hall of Fame project with Mark O'Meara.

I wanted it to have a vintage feel for that Wheatley box, but with a modern steelhead shape and profile.
The hook is something between an AJ 1.5 and 3/0 in bronze.
I used Tragopan instead of Golden Pheasant again in the underwing. I just love the look. I used vintage metal tinsels for the body. I used full teal feathers stripped to fit, Vulturine guinea, and added jungle cock to the sides to fill some space. Because all the best dressing have JC sides.:D :saevilw:

Damn it I want to fish this one. :smokin:

Hope he enjoys the fly.

Thanks for the chance to get our flies out there Marty.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Matt:

This fly has the unforced casual and natural beauty I try to achieve in my own work.

I certainly appreciate and admire the skills and patience needed to tie a fly with clean and surgical precision but, for whatever reasons, these days, the sterile look leaves me wanting.

Terrific tying my friend

dg

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt:

This fly has the unforced casual and natural beauty I try to achieve in my own work.

I certainly appreciate and admire the skills and patience needed to tie a fly with clean and surgical precision but, for whatever reasons, these days, the sterile look leaves me wanting.

Terrific tying my friend

dg

I know what you mean Dave. Sterile is for tips/tags, heads, and ribbing. The feathers should have a bit of their own say I think. I like a bit of mess and character in my flies. I'm not sure why. I admire the skill of those who can make each dressing look clean and dainty, only subbing out colors and material composition, but where's the fun?

I do this to have fun... ;)

·
Registered
895 Posts
I keep on coming back to this post, staring at this wonderful piece of tying, and just realized I didn't comment on it.

A perfect tie in every aspect, Matt! Absolutely incredible!!

Thanks,

-Bill

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Superb tie, Matt

It'll fit right into the Hall of Fame! :)

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts