Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... is that sometimes they get eaten :smokin:

Attachments

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Thats a great pic Kush, worthy of framing and hanging on your living room wall. If theres room for anymore fish pics.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Curious if anyone else is exploring Modular tube systems- ie- interchangable front and rear ends on patterns?

Will

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I have a whole box of 1 inch long palmered rabbit strip tubes in my garage somewhere, haven't gotten around to fishing the yet though.

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
197 Posts
prairiespey said:
Curious if anyone else is exploring Modular tube systems- ie- interchangable front and rear ends on patterns?

Will
Tied some flies last year with the body on one tube and the wing on another, it worked pretty well. Also had some where just the tag where on a separate tube. Advantages on both of the method is that the hook is not attached to the part of the tube where the wing are, so the wing will not get hooked behind the hookbend.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
A few years ago as I was preparing to head up to the Skeena system, Les Johnson gave me a box of his tube flies to take. He warned me that certain tribs were likely to "go out" but to continue fishing them down to 1' of vis. He suggested simply stringing together tubes to make something quite visable. He suggested marabou combinations in black, red, and black and black, green, and black. All of these were on 1" to 1 1/2" plastic tubes.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
A few years ago as I was preparing to head up to the Skeena system, Les Johnson gave me a box of his tube flies to take. He warned me that certain tribs were likely to "go out" but to continue fishing them down to 1' of vis. He suggested simply stringing together tubes to make something quite visable. He suggested marabou combinations in black, red, and black and black, green, and black. All of these were on 1" to 1 1/2" plastic tubes.

and the results were??

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
They fished fine and on a ten weight, I believe I was casting either a 10150-4 Sage or the Scott 1510-4 ARC at the time, you could throw up to three of them functionally if not prettily. Fish catching, the jury was out. Out of the nine day trip, we fished a day and a half. The main river we intended to fish came up 2 meters in a day. We ended up getting some time on a favorite dry line river but even it had less than 18" of vis and that soon dropped to 0.

Later, I played around with multi tubes set-ups includeing those tied with 30# dacron and seperated by a length of dacron and a swivel. They worked fine and caught fish but they were too much like gear fishing so I abandoned the experiment.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
once upon a time

Per Stadigh (sp)(sorry Per) was tying cone heads on tubes that he could insert into the front end of his normal tube flies. A nice modular system if you could come up with the right size tubes to make it work. You can probaly find it in the archives.

I too have thought of stacking tube flies. Perhaps with a small plastic bead in between so they might swim like an articulated fly? I can see it all now. A three tube Intruder + the cone head insert with those long hackle feathers waving from the tail end. :smokin: It'd be my luck to hang the thing on a snag the first cast. Break it off and lose four flies all at once. :(

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not for steel/salmon but some tube stuff i,ve been playing with recently-might inspire a little more appropriate playing:)

some modular possibilities-

an interesting system- and new to me at least:)

Will

·
Registered
170 Posts
JD- Evergreen Styrene( hobby modelling tube) is what you are after- the OD of each size- fits the ID of the next size up- so you can stack/create tapers etc very easily. Hobby brass and aluminium tube also plays well :)

btw. Evergreen takes a nice hand formed bend as well- nice for big stone patterns

hope that makes sense

Will

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Thanks Will

prairiespey said:
JD- Evergreen Styrene( hobby modelling tube) is what you are after- the OD of each size- fits the ID of the next size up- so you can stack/create tapers etc very easily. Hobby brass and aluminium tube also plays well :)

btw. Evergreen takes a nice hand formed bend as well- nice for big stone patterns

hope that makes sense

Will
I'll have to check that out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts