Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been flyfishing now for a good few years and catching our beautiful king of fish quite successfully (releasing many quite successfully too!) with my 11ft6' loomis glx using a no.9 line with the short attached sinking heads etc. --though now i feel its just about time to learn to speycast properly to that end i am just about to organise myself and get some tuition on the subject!! My question to you my fellow anglers is this..

I am looking to buy a line which will suit ME a proficient single handed rod caster but a relative amatuer in the world of speycasting and the use of double handed rods> i would probably get most use out of a no.9 or 10 weight line with say 15ft attached heads ie.floating,sinking etc etc and perhaps on the odd ocassion 30ft heads which will be used on my various forays for atlantic salmon on rivers here in Ireland and perhaps abroad. The rod i will be using for this job mostly is my 13ft loomis glx and sometimes if fishing larger expanses of water my 15ft loomis glx. I am wondering if the rio midspey line is possibly the best line for the job. Can anyone offer any advice on whether this is correct or if there is a better line for the job. I am hearing mixed reports on the different types of lines - my preference is to buy the one line that comes with the four tips and then i can buy the 30ft tips myself afterwards if i need them, though a friend and very skilled angler told me i should just buy running line and make up the heads myself. If anyone can offer any advice on the matter of lines for me i would be most gratefull indeed..tight lines guys..

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hey! If you´re new to spey casting the Windcutter tips takes some beating, both in terms of versatility and value for money. For the 15´GLX a 10-12 is what Rio recommends. Not sure what they recommend for the 13´, though. Would an 8-10 be too heavy? Maybe the WC 10-12 with the middle section taken out would work on the 13´. Then you´d need just one line :)

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The 13' 8/9 GLX is the one I'm assuming you have. It is my favorite small river rod for summer steelhead fishing. You want to get the 8/9 MidSpey or 8/9/10 Windcutter for it. For either the 13' or the 15' (I assume it is the 15' 10/11 GLX you have) the Windcutter is a better choice if you are going to use the 30 foot heads. To use the 30 ft heads, you will have to take tip 1 & 2 out of the line and attach the 30 foot head to the remaining belly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS FLYTYER

YUP YOU GUESSES RIGHT ABOUT THE RODS AND RATINGS, I APPRECIATE THE REPLY.. MANY THANKS INDEEDY...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts