Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first go ever at the Baron. It was a very challenging pattern and I'm quite happy w the way this turned out. Lots of subs, so we'll just call it a poor mans varient. Hope everyone's doing well.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
very cool, love how you did the wing, very classic. topping looks great. super head. love it overall, wall hanger?

i just finished the same fly!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
well done . major thing that pop out is the cheeks they need to follow the wing not tied over the sides like that. double them up theywill show better

also minor stuff but your duck sides go the opposite way then your wing does. if you do wing using left side.for near side do the same for sides cheeks roof

nice shape over all

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I must say I agree with Kevin about the cheeks, they do kinda pull my eye a bit BUT as I look at everything else you have done with this fly I am thoroughly impressed with your work, VERY nice!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the kind words and suggestions guys. MZilliox... This is fully gutted to fish, but I'll probably keep it as a reference tool. Post up your Baron buddy, I always enjoy your flies.:)

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
That wing is fing perfect. Is that goose? That is some top quality goose if it is with super nice colors and perfectly built. THe rest is killer but the wing is what stands out the most to me.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much you guys ! The colored slips in the wing are turkey and that turkey was gifted to me by another low key Speypager. I'm officially hooked and have discovered a whole new world of fly tying.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Thanks so much you guys ! The colored slips in the wing are turkey and that turkey was gifted to me by another low key Speypager. I'm officially hooked and have discovered a whole new world of fly tying.

I know what you mean. I keep wanting to freestyle, but now i have variations of classics stuck in my head. Its like writing a new song or figuring out a new way to cover one of your old favorites. sometimes there is comfort in revisiting an old favorite.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I know what you mean. I keep wanting to freestyle, but now i have variations of classics stuck in my head. Its like writing a new song or figuring out a new way to cover one of your old favorites. sometimes there is comfort in revisiting an old favorite.
Stop drinking the Kelson kool-aid, Matt!:chuckle:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts