Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished up a Baron this morning while the frost melted and the water warmed. Now its time for a second nip of whiskey, waders, and the river. :smokin:

these guys are coming along too!

hoping for the tug and a spin on the new Hardy!

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,871 Posts
That's it Matt

Trip cancelled do not want to be embarrassed opening my fly box in your presence

·
Registered
688 Posts
Looks like the magnet pulled out, a bit of roughing with some sand paper and a good cleaning with some rubbing alcohol before a drop of CA to re-glue it. I need to build you a box I see. Not knocking this box as I do like these routered out boxes, in the sense that once you have the jig built you can mow out as many boxes as you have wood. Its fast. But I hate thinking of all that wasted wood that ends up on the floor as shavings, especially because its usually highly figured, really nice stuff. Thats why I either cut really thin slices and use the material like veneer or just thick enough to make much more labour intensive finger jointed or mitred sides. Those phillips screws drive me insane too. Just not a traditional look. Yes I was dropped on my head once too often ;)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Trip cancelled do not want to be embarrassed opening my fly box in your presence
Just put a few of mine in your box and you'll be good! :hihi:

I'd be more than a bit apprehensive to open my box near you as well, Matt!

Great Baron and a wonderful selection (go for the muddlers). Well done!!

-Bill

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like the magnet pulled out, a bit of roughing with some sand paper and a good cleaning with some rubbing alcohol before a drop of CA to re-glue it. I need to build you a box I see. Not knocking this box as I do like these routered out boxes, in the sense that once you have the jig built you can mow out as many boxes as you have wood. Its fast. But I hate thinking of all that wasted wood that ends up on the floor as shavings, especially because its usually highly figured, really nice stuff. Thats why I either cut really thin slices and use the material like veneer or just thick enough to make much more labour intensive finger jointed or mitred sides. Those phillips screws drive me insane too. Just not a traditional look. Yes I was dropped on my head once too often ;)
It seems here like you are offering to build me a fly box? I do need 2 or 3 more and am always looking for the next best box. was considering a wallet, but i like boxes. The magnet has pulled a few times, no biggie for me. water and wood are not friends, when the wood boxes get wet they distort a bit, then return to form once dry i find. but they are light and pretty and keep me from carrying too many flies at once.

I don't build the boxes, don't know anything about finer points of wood working, but would love to learn. PM me regarding a box...?

thanks for the kind words, I am liking these classic flies lately. next is the Lion or the Hempseed? not sure which yet.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,307 Posts
Matt, & everyone else too.......

I gotta say that's a simply beautiful selection of flies, just beautiful!

You fellows are keeping tradition alive not only by tying such wonderful flies but by using them to catch your steelhead. Myself, I am acutely aware of how often we can go without a strike or how many days we fish hard only to have a fish come undone from our hook point. Still, with the swarm of folks floating nymphs or whatever under an indicator everywhere you look you guys are staying the course. Just stopping here to see the flies and knowing you are out on the rivers down there swinging them is a breath of fresh air.

Bravo, keep it up,

Ard

·
Undertaker
1,368 Posts
spectacular box of enticements

Wow Matt, I love your flies. And I like that you have a pretty good variety with a fairly small number of ties. I too should try to limit what I carry afield. A leather wallet I carry in my sling pack got soaked in the last rain and I left it in the pack and in the car for a week. When I opened the pack this weekend, the darn thing was mildewed like mad and the flies smelled of dungeon. I suspect that fish that can smell their way home might notice and I washed them all in simple green.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Took the Baron out for a spin today and she did herself proud. She got a nice grab in heavy water there on that rock. hooked up for a couple seconds, but it was not meant to be. she will get another chance this afternoon.

here fishy fishy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts