Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It really is funny how flies get tied in bunches. Honyuk96 just did one too!

Mine is mixed instead of married, as seems to be my preference these days.

Got some cool new hooks, Partridge J1A 2/0. My new favorite hook for sure. A bit finer than the Mustad of similar shape. Finer point, finer return eye, nicer barb, nicer gape.
I'm out of kingfisher, its a travesty. I need to get a hold of some fast. AAAaaaron!!!! used a ringneck pheasant feather for the cheek instead.
did the underwing in strands, but I'm not as big of a fan. was just talking to a friend about how tippet in strands makes for a mushed wing, but tippets back to back hold a wing up proud. this translates to the water as well, full tippet wings hold their shape in the water a bit better. its a faster fly, thats all. Wings tied tips down, also something i seem to prefer lately on my flies.

This one is built to fish hard, its probably making the trip to the Dean River in August (without me) to tackle some real big fishes.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Nice Matt, very cool varient. That hook is interesting. Funny you mention the KF. I had originally slapped a couple Ringneck cheeks on my version, and luckily Failtospey slapped me silly. I got the cheek situation sorted out yesterday morning at a local bird store. Glad Matt talked me out of a very bad decision. Cool fly buddy and nice tying. BTW, I have no idea how you dyed those cheeks but I think they fit well.

·
Administrator
19,098 Posts
A great fishing flee Matt :smokin:
This one is going to get you a pull or three !!

I also prefer the mixed wing over the married wing, more contrast I guess.
I like everything about the hook .... but really wished it had a return loop eye instead. Call me a die hard salar chaser I guess.

I like to tie my GP tippet underwings as a full feather too .... when I want a fuller profile.
I stack the tippets when I want more of a sleek look for thin/clear water.
Try stacking the tippets in bunches, kind of a tweener look :)

Mike

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice Matt, very cool varient. That hook is interesting. Funny you mention the KF. I had originally slapped a couple Ringneck cheeks on my version, and luckily Failtospey slapped me silly. I got the cheek situation sorted out yesterday morning at a local bird store. Glad Matt talked me out of a very bad decision. Cool fly buddy and nice tying. BTW, I have no idea how you dyed those cheeks but I think they fit well.
Cheeks are not dyed, just natural. I had never seen these feathers on store bought ringneck, but I found one roadkill not long ago. it had all these amazing dark blue iridescent feathers up its neck onto the head. those all get taken away on store bought birds i think.

Mike, I think this one is going fishing with someone else. I am tying a set for a friend headed to the Dean this year, and this will most likely be in the set.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Cheeks are not dyed, just natural. I had never seen these feathers on store bought ringneck, but I found one roadkill not long ago. it had all these amazing dark blue iridescent feathers up its neck onto the head. those all get taken away on store bought birds i think.

Mike, I think this one is going fishing with someone else. I am tying a set for a friend headed to the Dean this year, and this will most likely be in the set.
Wow, crazy cool colors. I've got some purps, but not that shade of blue. Very cool !

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
super matt. love where your tying is going. fishy, still true to the history, and tied in the old way super stuff

super hook!!!!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Another outstanding tie, Matt! You've got the skill to really make any hook look great!

I like the trend towards mixed wings and tips down lately. I was doing it years ago. The only difference- they were my feeble attempts at married wings!! :chuckle:

-Bill

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Those Dean fish will fight over which jaw gets to chew on that glorious piece of work.

Spectacular, Matt. Tips down has never looked so good on these pages.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts