Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Following is a picture of a well-known Christmas Is. guide retooling my trevally leader after the Atlantis and I hooked up with a 60#+ Giant Trevally a couple weeks ago.

...my 80# shock tippet was no match for the coral. And to be honest, I was happy to atleast get my flyline back (click-pawl reels need not apply :hehe: :razz: :devil: ;) ).

Attachments

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Nothing like the sand to lay your reel in!

Just messing with yeah. Wish I was there...maybe next year.

Out of curiosity what makes up a trevally leader?

-sean

·
Registered
427 Posts
What Ryan can't you tie your own knots? :devil:

Actually having looked some heavy duty SW leaders I can't say I blame you.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sean-
Everyone has the favorite trevally. I was shown your typical bluewater leader setup which consisted of 50# butt to which was attached a 20# Maxima Double Bimini with a long section of 80# Flouro Shock tippet.

However many of the guides believes that setup just is not durable enough so they run a 50# butt section tapered down to 30-40# to which your 60-80# Shock is attached.

On my next trip, I will definately be giving the latter leader setup a try.

Speaking of my next trip, I will most likely be heading down sometime in 2005...we need to get a Flyfishing Forum Christmas Is Clave happenin'...get yourself and Juro and any others who would like to attend to take over the Island for a week! :devil:

Any biters??

Andre-
Why tie my own when I can order Dennis to whip 'em up for me??...but in all honesty, I did tie up a fair shake of leaders but had left all my backups in the truck so I did not have a spare after the GT sawed through the one I was fishing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ryan, did you land any of the trevally and did you get any pictures?

How did you like fishing the two-hander, and what did the guides think about it?

Thanks.

J

·
0 Posts
I've always cautioned people about using big game leaders with class tippets greater than 20lb. While I understand the perceived need, people forget about the inherent danger involved. If a fish like a 60lb trevally is hooked and one ends up with a loop of line around your wrist or thigh, good luck. There is just nothing to break that will set you free. That is the main reason that the IGFA did not approve the Big Game Class leader when they took a vote almost a year ago right now. You may not be worried about IGFA rules and records, and that's fine, but the reason the new division wasn't approved had to do with the risk involved (and liability.) My tarpon guide wanted me to fish with a straight 60lb leader from flyline to fly the first time I fished with him, and I refused. I now bring my own leaders with 16lb and 20lb class tippets. It's easy to pass something like this off. In fact, many poo-pooed the danger involved when I brought up the same point on Dan Blanton's BB, but it is a real threat, and one that is not worth taking for any fish.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Jr Spey: Good point to consider. Breaking fly lines is a good way to screw up a trip. Breaking digits, arms, or anything else would REALLY be a drag.

Man, customers have told me Trevally would drag a Tarpon around all day. Sounds like fun stuff.

·
Flats Rat
24 Posts
Ryan

CXI in '05 sounds good to me!!!

Hey, how about a trip report for the bonefish board? ;)

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Adrian-
Next chance I get, I will post a report on the Bonefish Board.

CXI in '05, eh??? Sounds great!! :) Right now I am still debating between January or October...

And because other Forum memebers have shown interest, if I get enough Forum members that would like to join me, I could very well plan a week that works best for them/you.

I am also contemplating Los Roques as well... :devil:

·
Flats Rat
24 Posts
I would avoid January at CXI. Despite what all the guide books say, it does rain on the equator. Last time I was there in March it rained all day every day the whole week - and had been like that since January! According to the locals any time between Jan and May can be hit/miss down there. Just a thought...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts