Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Skilly posted the following about using Ivory hand soap.

Ivory hand Soap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ivory hand soap to clean the line then use the line dressing of your choice.

Most dressings will not clean the line, just covers the dirt with dressing.

Wash in luke warm water then let dry. Do this with your cat out of the house or you may have tiny nicks in your line.

Skilly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Rio Skagit Lines and Outbound Floaters had developed a severe case of sinking fly lineitis.

I had been washing them with one of my wife's liquid hand soaps after reading not to use liquid detergent. After a good rinsing, I then used Rio's Agent X Fly line Dressing. The Agent X helped a little, but my lines still sunk.

This week I used the Ivory Hand soap/bar and warm water to really clean my Rio OB 11 Floater. Not only was the head sinking, so was the green running line inspite of the Agent X.

I let the Agent X stay on the clean line for 24 hours and buffed it with an all cotton tshirt*, and then I took it out to try it yesterday.

The entire yellow head floated with the exception of a couple of small 1' or less sections. The green running/shooting line floated better than it did when the line was new. The acid test was a 12' leader with a couple of feet of tippet and a small size 20 dry fly. Previously on Wednesday evening with the non Ivory hand soap washed line pulled down this little fly and even a size 4/0 crease fly. The little dry stayed afloat until I had to replace the fly flotant on it. The Crease fly floated like a cork with my floating yellow line.

Later I used a size 4/0 sinking Striper Clouser with lead dumbell eyes and the same leader. A couple of times, a 1' section of the fishing line tip due to current and outgoing tide flow dropped a few inches below the surface. I could still see the tip under the surface.

This line never sunk with over two hours of casting in a dirty river.

This week I will be cleaning all of my Skagit lines and Outbounds with the Ivory hand soap and then use the Agent X Line Dressing on them.

Skilly, thanks again.

*All cotton tee shirts used to clean fly lines. I have two optomitrists friends, a BIL, and a personal friend of the family, who tell their patients to never use paper towels with plastic lens as they will scratch them. One of these guys is a fly fisher, and he never uses paper towels with his fly lines. So an old all cotton tshirt is used. Don't use Bounce or any fabric softener when you clean these rags, as they might impact the floating capabilities of fly lines when used to wipe and clean them.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ivory Hand Soap Bar & Rio's Agent X refloated Skagit 650

Skilly said:
Glad it helped.

Skilly
I have had problems with my Rio Skagit 650 sinking since about this time last year when I cleaned it with the 333 stuff. Poo Goo and Agent X would help a little.

Earlier this week I cleaned the Skagit 650 with the Ivory, the 12' Tip 2* from my old Grand Spey or old Accelerato as my cheater, and a 15' Rio Floating 9/10 tip. I then used the Agent X dressing and let it set for 24 hours before buffing it off and putting the above back on my Loop 4W.

I put a Rio 15' steelhead leader and a couple of feet of tippet and a size 4 Steelhead floating Bee and tried it with my Sage 7141. The entire Skagit line, Tip 2* and Floating tip floated perfectly with the S's running up and down the Skagit and tips. The Green Running line floated and did well even without my Orvis line holster.

This combo worked well with the 3 basic Skagit casts. The Double Spey Skagit was shooting out 4-6 rod lengths of the green running line. I was able to cast this long combo and the Barry Bonds 7141 for a little over 2 hours before needing to take a break. It was all most as easy as casting my Sage 6126-3 with the OB. I had no problems with my old damaged shoulder, bicep and bicep head the next day.

The Ivory Hand Soap Bar has worked very well with both of my Rio Outbounds and this Skagit. I will be cleaning all of my floating lines with the Ivory Bar Soap and treating them with Agent X for this fall/winter season. Now when I come home, I clean the line I used with the Ivory Bar Soap and treat it with the Agent X Dressing.

*I don't need nor want all of the cheaters that Rio packages/bundles together, so I decided to try the floating Tip 2 from my old Grand Spey or maybe my old Accelerator. It worked very well with the Rio welded loops on both ends. Later this year I will replace it with my Rio 9' tip compensator for sinking line.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts