Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fish in various conditions from small streams to big Scandinavian rivers and saltwater, and therefore need (really!) a fairly large tackle collection. To keep overall costs somewhat reasonable, I can live without hi-end brands for every niche. I've been looking for some time to fill my two-hand collection, and thanks to Peter's comments about the Daiwa Lochmor, I jumped on a UK special offer and bought the 13,5 #9 and the 14,5 #10 at £99 and £119 respectively. Received the rods a couple days ago, so haven't been able to try them yet, but first impression is positive (certainly for that kind of money). The cork grip is the only downside and I knew that already. In fact, I have cast a friend's 14,5 #10 before and liked it. Very light rods and very tight ferrules.

To put things in even better perspective, Sage or T&T double handers cost here in Europe 850-1000 euros, which at the current exchange rate makes $1060-1250. Funny how the importers/retailers are always quick to raise their prices when the dollar strengthens but are in no hurry to lower them when it falls.

And not to disappoint Juro, if you happen to read this, I'm still interested in trying and perhaps adding to my collection the Atlantis. I'm planning to visit the Cape in June, armed with single and double handers for every situation. . :)

Jussi

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Jussi -

Please drop me a line, if I am not working I would be very pleased to hunt the beach with you in June!

regards,
Juro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks guys!

Juro, I'll certainly contact you when June gets closer.

And Peter, I'd be happy to discuss lines for the Lochmor when the weather warms up a bit and I can go out to try some of my current lines. I think there's quite a bit on this in the archives, I'll look into it. Indeed, I was also thinking about the overhead casting possibility, and might take one (probably the 13,5) to try on the Cape, but I suspect that for a whole day of casting and stripping (and hopefully landing some fish), shorter would be better (Atlantis is already calling me, though there is probably none to be found on this side of the Atlantic).

Jussi

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
yes indeed

i love the four i have,funny out on the river,the other flyguys,`it's a ,,,Daiwa'!!!???,,all i know is Daiwa's been in the tackle business a good long while,,not going to compare the `build' quality to a t-t,as i'm sure there are several others,and the custom builders,BUT,these rods WORK,i've got utmost faith in mine,absolutely,i bought mine to fish and fish hard,like every day not hang on a wall,the finish used on the blanks is unbelievaby tough,,i paid way more for used demo rods,plus the post,but still it's a real bargain,like buying a fighter jet for a volkswagon pricetag,have fun,that's what these fishing poles are for after all:hehe: yes ,where ARE you getting such a deal,hmmm,better go searching:chuckle:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: yes indeed

i love the four i have,funny out on the river,the other flyguys,`it's a ,,,Daiwa'!!!???,,
Well, they are designed and built in Scotland...hopefully not *too* close to any of the single malt operations :)

the finish used on the blanks is unbelievaby tough,,
That's something I've noticed about them: they seem to resist scuffs and scratches a lot better than most of my other rods.

I use Daiwas for just about all of the steelhead fishing I do, both speys and several longer single-handeds with extension handles on them.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
someday

if i ever get past these kids,i'm going to try the CND's,,the one designer,uhhhh,well, you no the name,!,hat's off to him,he's welcome in my drifter anytime, when i realized i could literally break the spirit of a big chinook with the one that i had,had to have another,and another,,,,still in the market for em',,they go ape for some of the `waggler's', or float/drift rods in UK auctions,,,so there MUST be something there??? ,if i snap one off i'll post it here,hah,hah,,,hee,hee:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts