Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You've already said it as well as it can be said that your efforts in producing these videos is what your Spey Pages is all about. I can't think of another e-community that stays as focussed on its purpose with as generous an attitude to share and help each other.
Thank you for your efforts at all times, especially over the last weeks, and for the example you are to all the board members.
My best wishes for a Happy and successful NEW YEAR!!!!
Tight lines.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
That about covers it!

Been here from close to the beginning; never met a nicer buch of folks in my life.

Dana, Ya Done Good!
jee/fae/chubby cat

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
awesome

Tak shimosawa's cast get's ,,keeps the fires burning,ALL the casts are awesome but watching the line shoot after a driving cast like that ,,,superb angle,,,slobberin' enough yet???,,iv'e said it before ;love this site!!!,stopping my casts higher now,,,thank you!!,i do have one question ;;;watching noburo on the first cast i believe,,i think he's the kinda guy that fishes way better away from the crowd,,i can relate,,but ,is the rod `shocking' to much?,maybe i'm used to dropping the tip too quickly,single handing it,,,,,,,the second occilation,,,SP??is what i'm questioning,,while he's lowering the tip?:confused:

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
glad you like the video, Hammer!

Nobuo Nodera is one of the finest Spey casters around. This clip was taken from a section of his dvd where he is demonstrating long distance casting (note the amount of running line he is holding). What you are noticing is the rod recoiling after the hard stop on the forward cast. This is common with all rods and all casts, but with long distance speycasting and extended belly lines the added weight and power makes this more pronounced than you might be used to seeing with single handers. From a different angle and with another world-class caster, you can see the same thing happening here. Watch the line coming off the rod tip--you can see an extra "wiggle" coming off the rod after the main wedge goes out. The rod tip is hard to see but if you really watch carefully you can see that it is the recoil that causes this.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Thanks--you've boosted my learning curve too!

When I started speycasting and fishing, I'd never seen another spey rod in West Michigan (they're still pretty rare). I studied the available videos, joined the old Speypages forum, and learned on my own. Subcribing to your newsletter has been a huge help because of the in-depth explanations. The video helps to clarify ideas even more by making them visual! They are a great supplement to your writing, but the newsletter articles increase my understanding of what the videos show. It's that technical understanding that continues my improvement.:smokin:

Thanks again!

Carl

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
thanks for the notes Carl!

Glad you find it all helpful!

I'm going to be incorporating more video into the newsletter format for subscribers. My next article is an updated look at the snake roll that will feature linked video clips throughout the text. Highlights will be available on the website, but most of it will only be available to subscribers.

Watch for it in the spring!

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Shock wave

It is very difficult to capture on film. And even more difficult to believe what you are seeing when you can see it.
When the rod recoils. the shock wave is formed. That part is not too difficult to understand. What is amazing, to me anyway, is that when that shock wave catches up with the loop. it acts like an accelerator and really kicks it over.

·
Registered
439 Posts
video

Hi Dana, Thanks for all the good video. I two am wondering when some of this casting will be available on dvd. Got a player for a gift and had a chance to play with it, to cool. It's looks cleaner than tape.

Leroy.....................

·
Registered
439 Posts
Shock wave

Look at the way that Nobuo finishes his cast. He pushes up and does a slight twist. Could this cause the rod not to recoil and make that shock loop somewhat smaller? What are you thoughts?

Leroy.....................

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i thought i should be dropping the tip immediately after the `shoot' to avoid that,and feeding some line,you can see it all the way thru the handle,not just the tip/middle:D

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Matt:

email CND at [email protected] to ask about availability in North America.

guys: good observations about the "push and twist" Nobuo uses at the end of his cast, kind of a subtle corkscrew motion. It reminds me of the Maxwell "power push" and the "thrust" movement single hand distance casters use to create the wedge-shaped forward loop. IN Nobuo's case these moves would add additional tip travel distance to the casting stroke as well as tighten up the leading edge of the forward loop. Well, that's what I think anyways. I'll ask him about it when I see him in February.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've tried to copy that push part of his cast and that perfect layout behind him on the water where he gets his grip. I'm not anywhere near as consistent as he is. Consistent technique eludes me so it's back out on the water until I get it. Like I hate fishing anyway.

Matt Burke

1 - 14 of 14 Posts