Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broke my TFO 13' 8wt skagit rod. Sent it back by uspo last thur, then got it back the following wed!

great service! great rods!

cb

Thought i'd share it with you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
May I ask both of you if the breaks were result of material defect or the caster fault ( loose ferrule etc.)?

I would like to know if TFO is sacrificing material integrity for price. They have no-fault warranty. It may be just marketing strategy, at least initially, or no-fault warranty has been established for a good reason……..

Robert

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
May I ask both of you if the breaks were result of material defect or the caster fault ( loose ferrule etc.)?
I would also be interested in this info. My experience is this:

I have sold more then 100 TFO two handers in the last 2.5 years. Of those rods I know of 6 that have required warranty work and of those 6, 5 of the owners told me the damage was their fault.

I know of 5 guides fishing the Clearwater here in Idaho that are using TFO two handers for client rods. In some cases these rods have the hell beat out of them and they hold up very well.

TFO's "no fault" warranty is a marketing strategy. It is the same marketing strategy used by several other rod companies that appreciate their customers and want to take care of them.

While it may happen at some point in the future, so far I have never had a customer that bought a TFO tell me I sold him a bad rod.

Robert, Have you ever tried a TFO rod? If not, why don't you take a test drive so you can answer the questions you've raised above for yourself. If you can't find a dealer up there that will accomadate you please let me know.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was my fault.

I was driving home from the Clackamas river (skunked again) and was too tired to take my rods apart so I put them in my dt bodkin rod holders on the hood and roof of my truck. While driving 35 mph I witnessed my rods (4 of them) lift off my truck and fly into the road! I slammed the truck to the side of the road and then witnessed a semi truck that was behind me run over the tips of 2 rods. The other 2 rods were unharmed, how i'll never know.

The glue on the dr bodkin holder had come undone between the magnet and the holder so it seperated, my fault for being lazy they are not ment for speeds over 20 mph acording to mgf, still sucks.

The other spey rod broken was a scott a2 1308. It has been 4 weeks now and no rod, but they have cashed my 25.00 check 3 weeks ago. I have broken Orvis and st croix rods in the past also and they take about a month also, but to get the TFO back in under a week was a real nice suprise.

I also mentioned in my note to tfo about the breakage that the cork on the handle was alittle pitted from some of the cork filler coming off, they gave me a new lower section, my original mid sections and a new tip. Cast great.

chris

·
Registered
131 Posts

I would like to know if TFO is sacrificing material integrity for price. They have no-fault warranty. It may be just marketing strategy, at least initially, or no-fault warranty has been established for a good reason……..

Robert
My swinging fly had snagged on some unseen underwater object and I started reefing pretty hard on the rod trying to dislodge the snag after other methods failed.

I suppose the break could be considered my fault in that I probably "reefed" too hard. However, I have been reefing like this for years with other rods and have never had a break. I might add that the rod has seen quite a bit of use since I bought it over a year ago.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Ouch!

It was my fault.

I was driving home from the Clackamas river (skunked again) and was too tired to take my rods apart so I put them in my dt bodkin rod holders on the hood and roof of my truck. While driving 35 mph I witnessed my rods (4 of them) lift off my truck and fly into the road! I slammed the truck to the side of the road and then witnessed a semi truck that was behind me run over the tips of 2 rods. The other 2 rods were unharmed, how i'll never know.

The glue on the dr bodkin holder had come undone between the magnet and the holder so it separated, my fault for being lazy they are not ment for speeds over 20 mph according to mgf, still sucks.

chris
Call Mike and order up his 'double mag' rod holders. It takes an elephant to peel them off the top of my car (dry surface). The double mag's will hold 4 full on spey rods or up to 6 single handers with ease. A tad pricey, but they do exactly as advertised .... even at 75mph.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts