Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys: I'm looking to pick up one of the TFO speys and wonder, among those of you have cast them, what models in this lineup really stood out? In other words, I am interested more in getting a rod that really performs for the money rather than a particular length and weight. Thanks, keith

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I am interested more in getting a rod that really performs for the money rather

Keith this is a hard question to answer. As you well know, no one else can tell you which TFO is "best for you".

All TFO rods really preform for the money. They are a very good bargain in a two hand rod.
The 4 "original" models while not being fast bend mostly in the top half. The 12'6"-6wt is very sweet with a 6/7 Delta. I don't think of it as a steelhead rod, at least not in Clearwater terms. I do send a lot of them to Oregon with multi tip lines.

The 15'-10wt rocks with a 75' 10/11 Carron and is an amazing Clearwater rod for someone on a budget. To bad the line cost almost as much as the rod. A
9/10 MidSpey makes a good second choice

For a guy wanting to get into spey casting the 14-9wt is a great choice. I think of it as the 30:06 of TFO spey rods. A 9/10 WC, Delta, or Jim Teeny line makes a great match up.

The 12'6"-8wt would be nice for the Ronde. A 7/8/9WC or 7/8 Delta tips line would fit this rod nicely.

I've already talked about the TFO skagit rod in your other post. It bends a lot further into the butt then the first 4 I've mentioned. Still pretty new on the market so not much feed back. Jim Reales in Colorado has a lot of time on one. We both like a skagit line in the 525grn weight total including the tip.

Newer still is the 13'9"-9wt scandi rod. I haven't tried it yet but will have cast it by Fri, I hope. From what I can learn this will be much faster then the current TFO offerings.

There must be a TFO dealer in BozeAngeles that has all the two hand models. If not and your headed to the Ronde any time soon you can try all of them here.

I am reluctant to pick any one model but I'll say the 12'6"-6wt also makes a Hell of a two handed streamer rod.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Blue Devil said:
Hi Guys: I'm looking to pick up one of the TFO speys and wonder, among those of you have cast them, what models in this lineup really stood out? In other words, I am interested more in getting a rod that really performs for the money rather than a particular length and weight. Thanks, keith
I am glad you asked this question and will look forward to other experenced spey caster/anglers advice. Thanks for the helpfull advice once again MJC

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tfo

Thanks a lot Mike for your detailed report. I'll look around for one to cast here. Hope to see you in the not too distant future. Keith

·
Registered
119 Posts
T.f.o.

Yes I agree with Mike on the TFO 13.3 skagit rod it does bend well into the butt. Myself I like about 550 to 565 grains total on it. Head and tip Ive pushed up yo 650 grains on it but weigh to much got heavy. Mike also mentioned the 13.9 scandi rod but there is also a 11 foot 5 weight trout spey. Hope to have my hands on them sometime this week. But will try and play with them at the retail show here in denver colo this month.

·
Registered
119 Posts
T.f.o.

It is not on the web page yet It is the PRO series I have one I'm still trying it out. Ive cast alot of different lines on it. And At this point I cant say anything. I need to spend more time with this rod. Seems to do what I ask

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
The TFO 11'-5wt two hander is available to dealers. It retails for $249.95 with a tube.

·
Registered
3 Posts
james reales said:
It is not on the web page yet It is the PRO series I have one I'm still trying it out. Ive cast alot of different lines on it. And At this point I cant say anything. I need to spend more time with this rod. Seems to do what I ask
Is it single or two Handed?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts