Spey Pages banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fly Angler
31 Posts
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the TFO 3/4 weight......Now it's time for a reel and figure out a line for it..
I have been fishing the 3/4 since the winter. So far, I’ve been using the OPST Commando Smooth in a 250 gr so I can strip all the way to the tip connection. I’d be curious as to what line(s) you’ve been using and like.

·
Fly Angler
31 Posts
I am still looking for the right line. Just ordered a 250 grain head as the 200 I had seemed too light.
Yeah, I wouldn’t go less than 225 grain for that rod (with the Commando or Commando Smooth). With the Commando Groove, I think you could get away with a 200 grain. Basically, whichever Commando grain you end up liking, the Groove should be 25 grains less than that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, cool I appreciate the info. I knew I got to light of a head in 200 grain and it didn't cast well for me. I kinda put it away until my buddy and I went out last week and got into some smallies swinging streamers on our one handers... Now back in the game..lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased the TFO Pro II 2/3 last year and wanted to know what your line recommendations are?
I did pickup a SA 240 Spey Lite. What are your thoughts on Scandi and Skagit head. With a Scandi heads do you use a tapered leader? I should mention that I am new to the Spey world.

any information would be appreciated✌🏻

·
Registered
Beulah, G Loomis, Sage, Hardy
238 Posts
I purchased the TFO Pro II 2/3 last year and wanted to know what your line recommendations are?
I did pickup a SA 240 Spey Lite. What are your thoughts on Scandi and Skagit head. With a Scandi heads do you use a tapered leader? I should mention that I am new to the Spey world.

To be honest, I haven't put that much time in with it... I bought it and immediately went out and picked up the G Loomis IMX Pro 31111.... The only head I have cast on the TFO is a commando head..... I don't particularly care for those heads. But I'm pretty sure the one I have is 200gr.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To be honest, I haven't put that much time in with it... I bought it and immediately went out and picked up the G Loomis IMX Pro 31111.... The only head I have cast on the TFO is a commando head..... I don't particularly care for those heads. But I'm pretty sure the one I have is 200gr.
Thank you for your response. Do you use a Poly style leader or a monofilament tapered leader? like I said I’m new at this I’m just trying to figure it out.

·
Fly Angler
31 Posts
Thank you for your response. Do you use a Poly style leader or a monofilament tapered leader? like I said I’m new at this I’m just trying to figure it out.
It depends. Did you get the Skagit Lite or Scandi Lite line from SA?

Skagit lines are designed to be used with some kind of tip. So, for lighter weight spey applications (like trout), you'll want to use lighter sink tips and/or poly-style leaders as they have the appropriate grain weights to work with a Skagit line.

Scandi lines can be used with either poly-style leaders or long, tapered mono leaders. You should experiment and see what you like.

Because I go between skagit and scandi, I just keep a wallet full of polyleaders and add short or long leader/tippet depending on if I'm fishing a Skagit or Scandi line. If you go with just tapered, mono leader, you'll want to have it longer than your typical 9' tapered leader. I would start with 12 or 15 and then cut back or add tippet as needed.

·
Registered
238 Posts

A tapered leader for the scandi sounds about right... I'm not great with length formulas yet. On my 34ish ft Scandis I run 12ft tapered leaders and then about another 4ft of tippet. I imagine a 200ish grain scandi is going to be a bit shorter so maybe a 9ft or 10ft tapered leader might be your best bet.... Sorry about being so vague, but at the price of tapered leaders $5, I won't feel too terrible if you end up with 2 of them 😂.

Best of luck
Jer

·
Registered
5 Posts
A tapered leader for the scandi sounds about right... I'm not great with length formulas yet. On my 34ish ft Scandis I run 12ft tapered leaders and then about another 4ft of tippet. I imagine a 200ish grain scandi is going to be a bit shorter so maybe a 9ft or 10ft tapered leader might be your best bet.... Sorry about being so vague, but at the price of tapered leaders $5, I won't feel too terrible if you end up with 2 of them 😂.

Best of luck
Jer
With a 240gr Scandi head what ?X 9‘-10’ tapered leader would you recommend🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
238 Posts
With a 240gr Scandi head what ?X 9‘-10’ tapered leader would you recommend🤷🏻‍♂️
Get the 12lb or Trout... They might be 1 in the same... You might get a bit more positive turnover with a poly leader, just for a matter of simple physics mass moves mass but I think you'll be fine either way... Also if you are interested and want to try them out. If you private message me your address I'll mail you out a 270gr Scout Head and a 200gr Commando head you can play around with, no hurry in mailing them back... Both are real short Skagits...

Jer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts