Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Press Release
February 7, 2007

While some might argue that properly executed Spey casts are the highest art form of fly casting, we would probably all agree that these casts are visually compelling, personally gratifying and a wonderful way to present a fly to a fish. For a collective 65 years, two Pacific Northwest Spey casters, Mike Kinney and Bob Meiser have perfected this art and have shared their knowledge through guiding, teaching and perhaps most importantly, by designing two-handed rods with casting properties that marry perfectly with modern Spey lines. Many of you may already be familiar with the custom finished R. B. Meiser fly rod, considered by many to be some of the very finest available. Rest assured, he will continue to produce his exquisite rods as we move forward.

We at Temple Fork Outfitters are pleased to announce that Mike and Bob will be working with us in two-handed rod design. In joining our family they have made a commitment to our pledge to offer affordable high performance rods for TFO customers. They have worked tirelessly and patiently with us in designing the Deer Creek Series of traditional action two-handed rods that will be available in early May. Prices for these 4 piece rods will range from $324.95 to $349.95. The blanks are a beautiful translucent dark amethyst color with fittings and components selected by Mike and Bob. Our initial production run will include a 12’ 6” 4/5 wt, a 13’ 7/8 wt., a 15’ 8/9 wt. and a 14’ 9/10 wt … with more rods to come.

Moving forward, and in addition to two handed rod design, Mike Kinney and Bob Meiser will assist us in increasing this most compelling sector of our sport by working with us to address the needs of fly fishers who are interested in getting started. Please join me in welcoming them to our team.

Rick Pope
President
Temple Fork Outfitters

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Can't wait...

...to see in production & reports of test casting fishing by Speypages members.

M

·
Registered
90 Posts
The TFO new trouter 12'6" 4/5, over $200 cheaper, will be competing with Meiser Trouter 12'6" 4/5, unless a finish and the action will be noticeable inferior.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Well, now that 'the cat's out of the bag' I can chime in here a bit. I've had the opportunity to 'wiggle' several of the rods in the development stage; two (in particular) have spectacular actions. :smokin:

Can't wait to get my hand on the end game design, line those Puppies up and hit the Rogue. (Need to check the balance on my 'buy toy's savings account' and refund same.:lildevl: )

·
Registered
941 Posts
Aaaha, Poppy. These must be the rods you were alluding to and would say nothing about when I stopped by the shop last summer. They sound great.
Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Where TFO is making the rods?
If in Asia, and Bob and Mike have their hands on the design of the rods, these rod may sell very well and drive the prices down putting the pressure on jobs in US makers.
I have no problem with that if the rods are my in US, but to drive the prices down using oversea cheap labor will simple enrich those in Korea or China and line up a packet of folks at TFO.
If we do it with all products, this country will ship its wealth oversea with benefit for very few here. We also will teach them and create competition for he next 20 years, form fly rods to high tech gears.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Get over it. We are now a global economy. You can either take advantage of it or whine about it. Those who whine about it are missing the boat. Economies change over time and americans enjoy by far the finest standard of living in the world. It is selfish not to want that for others. I am a software engineer and know full well about getting your job outsourced. You adapt.

Sage and others have adapted their strategies over the last few years and we now enjoy more low to mid priced rods due to the influx of competitors like TFO who have proven you can deliver a fine product at a lower price point. In the end the consumers like you and I are benefiting.

I find this funny coming from someone who so heavily endorses reels made in sweden...

-sean

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
If in Asia, and Bob and Mike have their hands on the design of the rods, these rod may sell very well and drive the prices down putting the pressure on jobs in US makers.
I have no problem with that if the rods are my in US, but to drive the prices down using oversea cheap labor will simple enrich those in Korea or China and line up a packet of folks at TFO.
If we do it with all products, this country will ship its wealth oversea with benefit for very few here. We also will teach them and create competition for he next 20 years, form fly rods to high tech gears.
Read, The World is Flat for a snap shot of the new economy...outsourcing is here to stay.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My point was that we are teaching others for free how to compete with us in the near future and
the filed in the global competition is not leveled
It is happening for free…….. with blessing of …….

How many can make up lost salary in stock market?
Unless you already have a few millions, forget about making it up.
Unfair outsourcing in only lining up packets of 1-2 % Americans.
Yes we all buy cheap in Wal-Mart and we all subsidize Wal-Mart employees who gets sh…… medical benefits. You tax $ goes directly into Walt Family packet……..

In Canada or Europe outsourcing is more under control !
Unlike in 90’s Europe is already ahead of us

These days when executives are making 350X of an average employee (including professionals ) compare to 30X 15 years ago, their horizon is 3-4 years. After 4 years they retire……
They simple don’t care about a company 5-10 years down the road.
I predict in 5-8 years we’ll pay a very high price.
The wealthiest don’t want to pay taxes, where others will not have enough to pay.
Someone have to pay taxes to build the roads or sponsor military expenditure.

The drug companies are cutting cost shipping the knowledge and jobs to India.
They are creating a new competition!

What do you think will happen in China in 5 years, while most manufacturing is done?
What if workers in China or India will start to ask for higher salaries?
Do you think US corporations will simply ship the jobs back to US?
Keep in mid that China is manipulating its currency to draw more jobs from US , then they will sit in a driving seat.
Yes, China currency is not exchangeable !!!

Have you notice that many US owned (for now………) factories in China are getting unionized very quickly……..
The days of cheap labor are counted, so do US leadership.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sean,
I have adopted very well. My point was that the filed is not leveled !!!
If you are referring to the reels made in Sweden, I would like to point out that the large arbor invention ( 1980’s world wide patent ) was done by this company, and they deserve the benefits of their invention and design. It was the very same company who refused to ship the Swedish jobs to Korea, broke out with its former partner and now is doing much better then the partner……..

I am done and the subject is closed.

Have a great weekend.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i will contiune to support usa products when i can . this globle economy bull s.... burns the hell out of me.that bunch of crap!!!!!!! in the state of kentucky alone lost 35,000 small manufactory jobs to the globle economy, ask those people how they like it, know telling how many tru out the country. just because we have one i don't have to like it. O yes i have some of that crap in my house

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Historically the big societies have collapsed when their foundation– middle-class has been dismantled………..
It is happening now ……:( , like the Roman Empire.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

My point was that the filed is not leveled !!!
Sean has nailed it very well. Where were the computers made that you all are typing on? How many are driving cars with roots in Asia? Where did your TV's, VCR, many household apliances, yada, yada, yada, come from? How about your waders, wading jackets, or your vests? It should also be noted that more then one of the top of the line US rod makers have major connections with Asian rod companies.

As to a level playing field, I'm surprised no one seems worried about the consumer's "level playing field". Until the advent of the Asian rods many people were shut out when it came to getting a spey rod because they couldn't "pony up" for a $500.00 stick plus a new line and reel to go with it.
The off shore rods have been a godsend to people that wanted to get into spey fishing and for whatever reason couldn't drop 7 or 8 bills to get started.

wrke, You are quite right.

·
Registered
271 Posts
TFO gear rods have treated me well and competition's nearly always a good thing. Be great to see spey fishing with some more offerings in the TFO price bracket as options.

Yes we all buy cheap in Wal-Mart and we all subsidize Wal-Mart employees who gets sh…… medical benefits.
Speak for yourself, never spent a cent their and never will. P&G practices don't float my boat.

As for evolution, it's here to stay and still a lot slower than I'd expect from mankinds presence. No guarantees your job will be the same for a career, that generation's passed. Unfortunate as not all are equipped for the dynamics it presents, but quite the opportunities for those well equipped. It's given you your standard of living at a cost you can afford.

Oh yeah, back to the rods.......very cool and kudo's to Mike and Bob for beign involved in such a deal:smokin:

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
MJC,

I respect you point of view, and you made a few good points ( re: fly fishing industry), but may be you can explain me why large US corporations, were allowed by Republican congress to pay less taxes ( only 18% ) on the oversea profit then on the US ( 32%) profit. Why in such situation they should keep jobs in US?

Seems to me that they are taxed less ( %) then many of us !!!
Hard, creative work is taxed more then oversee profit of very reach corporations and even on capitol gain ( 18%) here in US.
There is nothing wrong to accumulate wealth, but why, even skilled professional pays more (%) taxes then someone who has already accumulated wealth is has no need to work further.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
GE, HP, Lilly Overseas Tax Breaks

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601070&sid=aKSG9LbDzAdI&refer=home

Feb. 12 (Bloomberg) -- For more than a decade, Democrats watched from the sidelines as a Republican Congress doled out tax breaks to General Electric Co., Hewlett-Packard Co., Eli Lilly & Co. and other big multinational corporations. Now, the new Democratic majority is considering rolling back those benefits.

House Democrats met last week with Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson to discuss changing the rules that allow U.S. companies to postpone taxes on foreign profit, Ways and Means Committee Chairman Charles Rangel says. The Democrats plan hearings on the breaks, which the Bush administration's budget proposal says may cost the federal government more than $89.5 billion in lost revenue over the next five years.

``Everything's on the agenda,'' Rangel said in an interview.

The breaks are among hundreds of so-called tax expenditures that cost the U.S. government $945 billion a year in foregone revenue. The Democrats may target them to help fulfill a vow to enact so-called pay-as-you-go budget rules requiring that any new expenditures be offset by new revenues.

``Multinational corporations have got a lot at risk with the new majorities in the House and Senate,'' says Bill Archer, a former Republican congressman from Texas who chaired Ways and Means from 1995 to 2001. ``It has a lot of seductive appeal to say that corporations that are operating overseas are exporting jobs, so therefore they should pay more in taxes on overseas income,'' says Archer, who is now a partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP in Washington.

Saved Billions

Any change will likely affect companies such as Fairfield, Connecticut-based GE, which saved billions of dollars over the last decade by reducing its overall U.S. tax rate to 18 percent in 2005 from 32.5 percent in 1995, largely because of the rules congressional Republicans enacted during those years.

Eli Lilly, Hewlett-Packard and other companies have also pushed their tax rates well below the top marginal rate of 35 percent in the last decade by basing operations in lower-tax countries and taking advantage of the U.S. rules.

Opponents of the tax breaks say they are a drain on the economy and an undeserved boon to companies. The Democrats, who took control of Congress in January, said in their platform for last year's elections that the party would seek to ``repeal tax giveaways that encourage companies to move jobs overseas.''

New Rules

Democrats might seek to change rules governing how companies defer taxes, limit the foreign tax credits companies claim for payments to other governments or set new regulations on transactions that shift income from subsidiaries in higher-tax countries to those in lower-tax ones.

``The question will be whether they have a broad policy shift or whether they focus on the tax abuses and deal with the international tax issues in that way,'' says Mark Weinberger, who served as President George W. Bush's first assistant secretary for tax policy in the Treasury Department and is now vice chairman of New York-based Ernst & Young LLP, the second- largest U.S. accounting firm.

In a January survey of corporate tax executives by the Washington law firm Miller & Chevalier, 61.5 percent of respondents said they expected congressional Democrats to increase taxation of international operations to help raise revenue for other measures.

`On the Radar'

``People clearly think it's on the radar, they just don't know what specific provisions it's going to be,'' says Marc Gerson, a lawyer at Miller & Chevalier who was tax counsel for the Ways and Means Committee until last year under Republican Chairman Bill Thomas of California.

Rangel, 76, and Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus of Montana are looking for additional revenues to offset the cost of eliminating the alternative minimum tax. The AMT is projected to impose higher rates on 23 million individuals by 2010 by denying common deductions. Full repeal would cost more than $1 trillion over 10 years, according to government estimates.

Baucus, 65, has already said that his panel will examine abuses of the corporate-tax benefit. He plans hearings later this year that will seek ways to ``plug loopholes that allow offshore tax avoidance maneuvers,'' says committee spokeswoman Carol Guthrie.

At the same time, Baucus has said that he may resist more sweeping changes. Guthrie says he remains a strong backer of a key rule change in the last decade that has helped push down GE's tax rate -- a law that allows financial-services companies to postpone tax on certain kinds of foreign income.

Neal's Role

Rangel, of New York, said in an interview that his committee's examination of the international rules will be led by Representative Richard Neal of Massachusetts, a long-time critic of companies that shift operations offshore to reduce their tax liability.

Neal, 57, says his focus will be on identifying abuses of current law that he suspects are costing the government ``an awful lot of money.'' The panel, he says, won't consider any changes to the tax code that interfere with the ability of U.S. companies to compete globally.

``Those who use avoidance as a strategy are going to be placed under scrutiny,'' Neal said in a Feb. 8 interview.

He says House Democrats discussed these changes last week in the meeting with Paulson, 60, who said they were ``worthy of examination.'' Treasury spokeswoman Jennifer Zuccarelli said she wouldn't discuss the secretary's private talks with lawmakers.

GE Breaks

GE, the world's second-largest company by market value, has benefited from a 1997 law that allowed its international financial-services business, General Electric Capital Services Corp., to defer U.S. taxes on its foreign profit. A law change in 2004 allowed the company to expand the number of foreign tax credits it could claim, further reducing its U.S. liability. John Samuels, the company's vice president and senior tax counsel, didn't return calls seeking comment.

Hewlett-Packard, the world's largest personal-computer maker, and Eli Lilly, the world's biggest maker of psychiatric drugs, have established operations in low-tax countries such as Ireland, allowing them to defer some U.S. taxes.

Any changes in the rules ``would certainly be problematic,'' says Dan Kostenbauder, vice president of transaction taxes at Palo Alto, California-based Hewlett-Packard. Noting that previous attempts to change the rules have faltered, he says, ``Congress at the end of the day has always allowed deferral to continue.''

Sharing Its Perspective

Edward Sagebiel, a spokesman for Indianapolis-based Eli Lilly, says the company will ``share its perspectives with policy makers on international tax reform, and explain how changes to tax policy could affect the ability of all U.S. companies to thrive in the global marketplace.''

While the Democrats haven't yet made any specific proposals, Archer, 78, says they should be cautious in targeting the tax breaks, which were originally designed to help U.S. companies compete internationally and avoid double taxation.

Changing those benefits will force U.S. companies to pay higher tax rates than their foreign competitors, making them ``less competitive in the world marketplace, which is not a good thing for Americans,'' he says.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not good??????????. Despite only 18% tax rate they still ship the job oversea
It is wellknow that taxes on Europe are hogher then US, so how come Lily is claiming that that same tax on profit on European operations as on US profirt is bad .

Greed !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I respect you point of view, and you made a few good points ( re: fly fishing industry), but may be you can explain me why large US corporations, were allowed by Republican congress to pay less taxes ( only 18% ) on the oversea profit then on the US ( 32%) profit. Why in such situation they should keep jobs in US?
Sazan, No I can't explain anything that goes on back there inside the beltway. Those people do almost nothing that pleases me and a great deal that displeases me. The sad fact is nothing is going to change with a changing of the guard. Greed is bipartisan.

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Spell check!

pocket,,, it's a pocket.
Sean not only hit the nail on the head with his reply,, he DOMINATED that nail:saevilw: :saevilw:
SC

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
MJC,

Greed is bipartisan, generally yes, but tax loophole was introduced by the party which lost the last election, and is going to be eliminated by the party which won the election, unless the chief in the White House will veto this to protect his friends……

I have observed that Dem. ,in general of course, has drifted from left to the middle, while Rep. went from the middle/right to, well beyond the scale……..

Have a Good One

1 - 20 of 48 Posts