Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a TFO deer creek switch 11 foot 5 weight. Any one out there own this rod? What lines you using for trout ? Thanks

·
MC
206 Posts
I have that rod, and for Scandi, I use an Airflo 360 grain Scandi 30' compact head. I really like that line on the rod.

I also have a 390 grain Airflo Skagit Tactical Shooting Head, and a 420 grain Airflo Skagit head. The rod will cast the 420 grain, but I like the 390 a little better for Skagit use.

I can't remember what I'm using for running line...it's orange.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have that rod, and for Scandi, I use an Airflo 360 grain Scandi 30' compact head. I really like that line on the rod.

I also have a 390 grain Airflo Skagit Tactical Shooting Head, and a 420 grain Airflo Skagit head. The rod will cast the 420 grain, but I like the 390 a little better for Skagit use.

I can't remember what I'm using for running line...it's orange.
How long is the AIRFLO Skagit Tactical Head? Ive never cast the rod in question but 390 seems a tad heavy for an 11' 5wt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's tough to beat the Rio Switch Chucker line if you only get one line for that rod. There are also similar integrated lines from SA, OPST and Airflo. Switch Chucker is more of a skagit type line so pick one that matches your intended use. Since that rod is more like an 8 wt single hand rod (in terms of line grain weight), then you're probably only using it for big streamers and maybe indicator fishing.

·
MC
206 Posts
I am very familiar with this rod.

Your question is a bit vague ... It'd be best if you would define what applied Trouting techniques you will wish to use with this rod: Indy nymph, high sticking, soft hackle/wet fly swing etc etc ...

Meiz
I wonder where the OP went? :roll:

Bob's post is a great opportunity for the OP to get some good info on that rod. Bob is one of the designers of the rod, after all.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Two questions to add:

a) what weight OPST do people like on this rod; and

b) if I want to fool around with a longer head on this rod, would the Beulah Aero Head at 410gr over 41 ft be as good a line to start with as any? Other possible options appear to be SA Deliverance Spey (420gr/48.5'), Ballistic 5/6 (390gr/45') and Rio Short Head Spey 5/6 (430gr/40'). Of course I'm open to other suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts