Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all!

I received as a gift a TFO Deer Creek Switch 11' #6 rod and I am looking for the ideal line weight in the world of skagit and scandi. On the rod there is only a recommended weight of 300-500 grains.

Hope someone can help me!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Haven’t cast the DC 11’ 6 wt...so I will offer up that caveat up front. But all my 6 wts all do pretty well with a 360 Rage. It isn’t precisely/exactly a scandi, of course.......but I see it as an aggressive one.

Rio’s recommendations are 400-450 with a Skagit and 330-360 with the scandi. I think the 360 Rage looks dang close.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I think the dog’s experiences are pretty similar to mine. I liked a 330 Scandi on it mostly, I liked the 360 Rage ok, and a 400 and 425 skagit both worked for me, with 400 being my preference. I kept going back to the Scandi though, since it just “fit” so perfectly with the typical scenarios that I like using the rod for.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I fish that rod all the time, lines I use
Airflo compact Scandie 390 or 420 with 14 foot polytip no longer available but the Rage is only a couple of feet shorter so will probably be OK
Airflo 450 Skagit also no longer available.
Outbound or Airflo 40 plus around 425 grain.
If I were to buy only one line that is available today I would go with the Rage 390 or 420 and a set of Airflo polytips to cover most fishing situations.

Ian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fish that rod all the time, lines I use
Airflo compact Scandie 390 or 420 with 14 foot polytip no longer available but the Rage is only a couple of feet shorter so will probably be OK
Airflo 450 Skagit also no longer available.
Outbound or Airflo 40 plus around 425 grain.
If I were to buy only one line that is available today I would go with the Rage 390 or 420 and a set of Airflo polytips to cover most fishing situations.

Ian
Thank you a lot, at least I know where to start :)
Since I am relatively new to spey casting, you recommend to go a bit heavier (Scandi/Rage 420, Skagit 450) or lighter (Scandi/Rage 390, Skagit perhaps 425)?

·
Registered
322 Posts
It depends on what you are fishing for and how big and heavy you flies are, Starting out I think a Rage is more versatile than the Skagit, the 390 or 420 will both fit the bill but the 420 will be a bit better for heavier flies.

Ian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It depends on what you are fishing for and how big and heavy you flies are, Starting out I think a Rage is more versatile than the Skagit, the 390 or 420 will both fit the bill but the 420 will be a bit better for heavier flies.

Ian
I fish primarily for big marble trouts, using still some bigger flies (some weighted) and sink tips, thats why I was thinking about a skagit since I have never seen the Rage head

Inviato dal mio LM-G810 utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Thank you a lot, at least I know where to start :)
Since I am relatively new to spey casting, you recommend to go a bit heavier (Scandi/Rage 420, Skagit 450) or lighter (Scandi/Rage 390, Skagit perhaps 425)?
Are you looking for two lines, or one? For bigger/heavier flies and sink tips go with a Skagit (450 is a bit on the heavy side imo, 400-425 with T-8 balances well). If you go with a Scandi, that should obviously be lighter than the recommended Skagit weight. A Rage is a bit of an in between choice.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
This has been posted many times over the years, and should probably be a sticky. Bob Meiser on getting a good balanced line:

“Rule of thumb: Our formula lengths for Skagit heads will be 1.75 to 2 times the rod's length. Head grain weight will begin at plus 25 grains, and go to plus 75 grains from the low end of the rod's grain window. In other words: If our rod's grain window is 450/750 ... Skagit heads best suited for this rod will weigh from 475/550 grains.”

“Rule of thumb: Our formula lengths for the longer "Fine and Far" Scandi heads will be 2.65 to 3 times the rod's length, and their total head grain weight will begin at the low end of the rod's grain window, to plus 50 grains. In other words: If our rod's grain window is 450/750, the head weight will range from 450/500 grains. These heads will be best matched to tapered mono leaders, or light poly coated, mono core tapered leaders (poly leaders).”

Those are not absolutes obviously, but if you are new or unsure where to start, Bob Meiser‘s suggestions would be pretty hard to go wrong with.

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
I own this rod and have used it a fair bit for bigger weighted flies and sinktips on skagit lines in tight quarters.

I prefer a 420 skagit that is 20’ long + 9-10’ long T-10 tip. A 20’ long 450 skagit works but feels a bit heavy.
A longer 23’ 450 skagit feels good,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you looking for two lines, or one? For bigger/heavier flies and sink tips go with a Skagit (450 is a bit on the heavy side imo, 400-425 with T-8 balances well). If you go with a Scandi, that should obviously be lighter than the recommended Skagit weight. A Rage is a bit of an in between choice.
I need primarily a line for heavier flies and sink tips, but I wanted to look (in the near future) also for a line for more delicate presentations and smaller flies. Since the grain window on the rod is simply 300-500 grains I was looking for a recommendation from someone who already fished that rod.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I own this rod and have used it a fair bit for bigger weighted flies and sinktips on skagit lines in tight quarters.

I prefer a 420 skagit that is 20’ long + 9-10’ long T-10 tip. A 20’ long 450 skagit works but feels a bit heavy.
A longer 23’ 450 skagit feels good,
So you prefer a longer head like the RIO Skagit Max (20') than shorter ones like the OPST Commando Head or AirFlo Skagit Scout?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I need primarily a line for heavier flies and sink tips, but I wanted to look (in the near future) also for a line for more delicate presentations and smaller flies. Since the grain window on the rod is simply 300-500 grains I was looking for a recommendation from someone who already fished that rod.

It’s a great rod, it was my first 2 hand rod. Do look through the link that I shared, Bob Meiser was one of the designers of those very rods. I have found that his suggestions work very well on all the Deer Creek rods.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It’s a great rod, it was my first 2 hand rod. Do look through the link that I shared, Bob Meiser was one of the designers of those very rods. I have found that his suggestions work very well on all the Deer Creek rods.
The only think that confused me a bit was that often there is a grain window for scandi and a grain window for skagit, whereas this rod has only one bigger grain window.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts