Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with this stick? It's in the Professional Series. I was sent it by mistake (the 12'6" 6-weight was intended), but it seems nice and lightweight. If you really like this model for certain rivers, please let me know. Thanks, keith

·
Registered
16 Posts
TFO 12'6" 8 Weight

I am really surprised there have been no replies to your inqyirey. In fact I was looking forward to the comments I surely thought it would generate...this because I also just got one of these rods.

I am also new to the two handed rod game...still very much a newbie with respect to fishing and casting with these rods. But, being a tackle junkie, this does not stop me from acquiring equipment I do not yet know how to use effectively. Actually the TFO rod is my second two handed rod (first one is a Sage 12'6" 6 weight...really nice for my application in the Lake Erie tribs). I bought it primarily for overhead surf casting to steelhead staging near the river mouths early in the season. This is coming up pretty soon. I also thought it would work for schoolie striped bass when I visit friends on the east coast. Finally I thought it might be better suited to spey fishing than my Sage when fishing the Niagara River while visiting family there.

So I guess I'm saying you have in me a kindred spirit whiling to share experiences as threy develop. Still it would be nice to hear from other folks that have experience with this rod.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the tfo 12'6" 6wt and love it, I use a 450 skagit line and use it as a summer rod on the deschutes.

I dont jave the 12/6 8wt but I do own the 13' shagit 8 wt that the y make. It was bought as a back up rod but I loved it so much it get used the most out of all my rods! Loads great, you can feel it load all the way to he base of the rod then let it fly! I use a teeny floater 9wt and a rio 550 or 450 skagit I prefer the 550 on this rod.

cb

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
Keith put a 7/8/9 WC on it and go fishing. It is a great steelie rod.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Its a wonderful rod!!!!!

Until last autumn, the roughly five years of spey casting I've been doing was with this 14' home built spey rod and I really like the rod. But then I bought a 12'6" - 8 weight from TFO. Man, I really love that rod. It was an improvement over the 14' rod in so many ways. My casting improved. It is much lighter and less tiring. Overall control was improved with this rod. I use both an Orvis DT10 and a Windcutter 7-8-9 with the rod and both work great. An airflo Delta line and a heavier Windcutter 8-9-10 did not match as well with the rod yet I could still make satisfactory casts. I fish it on local steelhead rivers here in western New York and used it exclusively on a recent Russian trip for salmon in a large river where it easily handled some very large fish. My very experienced russian guide loved it also. But we were fishing in howling winds much of the time and he did have the comment that a longer rod might have been better at times. Soon, I plan to try it with a DT8 line. I would like to see a somewhat shorter handle but that's really just a minor personal preference. Talk about $250 well spent!!

So Blue Devil and Joe G, I think you have a wonderful rod there. Feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss this further.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.