Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents--

A fortuitous tackle trade has brought me a TFO TiCR 1212 (the 12' overhead rod). Wonder if anyone has line rec or thoughts on this rod.

This would also be a good rod for the Cattaraugus and because of it's quickness should be a great head rod for underhand...so any spey line recs?

I'm thinking 8/9 for the distances I'd be fishing at (40-80')

I spoke with Rick Pope of TFO and he mentioned that guys like 12wt full lines and 500-600grain shooting heads. He had no rec for spey lines.

As this is a 4-piece, it will be doing the air-travel. Going to the keys later in the winter...

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Look for posts by "2 hands-the-salt" or something close to that. He has more info on that rod then anyone else I know of.

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Thanks guys. That's Jay Horton, the rod's designer and an interesting guy. I'll have to call him. Should have thought of that myself.

Thanks as always and be well--

Joe West

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Yes Jay Horton that is right. The diesel fuel is soaked in more then normal this morning. :eek:

·
Registered
55 Posts
So, Brooklyn, you and I now both own the TFO 1212 and the Atlantis. I'm not the only overkill-tackle-way-beyond-my-limited-fishing-time-budget fool, am I? I got the line recommendations from Jay and they work well. I also like the 12 weight 35 ft. Airflo heads on that rod, especially the type 3 sinker, good for the beach.

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 at once

Little did you know that I am developing a technique whereby I can dump TWO 90' casts at the SAME TIME. I have also been working on a way to cast ONE LINE with TWO RODS.

It is all too postmodern for my own feeble understanding.

Was thinking that a REAL MAN would cast the Atlantis (at 8oz) with one hand. Heck, Paul Young used to have a saltwater single hander that was 7-8.5oz. Can you handle it, Jazzman? Will the Harlem Meer carp ever be safe?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts