Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Brooklynangler...

If you are talking about the 8/9 I have one in the shop. I have overhead cast it some with some 35' shooting heads and while my ability leaves much to be desired it seemed to work quite well. It is 4 piece, has a nice cordura case and a bag, tip over butt ferrules, & I think a nice uplock reel seat. The cork is OK but I didn't like the shape very well at least for me, which would be easy to cure. While it is not an Atlantis I think it is a great rod considering it's price of $299.99. I would not feel I was handicapped in any way using one of these rods. I have the other models of TFO two handers on the way. Take care, MJC

·
Banned
103 Posts
This 12' surf rod is something I didn't even know about until recently. Was it a closely guarded secret, or have I just not been paying attention?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tried one about two weeks ago at a local shop. Found it relatively easy to cast. Balanced well on the retrieve. Worth a look in my opinion.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey J...

You are right. I'd better go look again. I must not be paying attention, thanks for pointing that out to me. Take care, MJC

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes Chris, it has been a very closely guarded secret. It is not listed in teh lit or on teh web yet, but your local TFO dealer can order it for a retail price of $ 299 including a nice tube.

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Secret?

Why a secret?

As the field of competitors is at least 1.75x+ your price, I'd think you've got a pretty hot product. I wish there had been more info on it when I've been looking the last few months-- I might have bought one...and there's lots of guys who are probably in the same situation as I.

I'd love to cast one!

joe

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good!

Jay-

I only asked because I come from the world of cane rodmakers. In that world, there ARE some secret rods...you have to "know to ask" for a certain model..or certain models are only made for certain "special" people.

I wish you luck with the rod. My friend jazzman has good things to say about it. WHAT is the size of that first stripper???

Cheers

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Actually, the price difference among the competition can be as high as 2.66x as Jay will agree. Price is driven by a number of factors of which materials and components are a huge part.

It's obvious from your posts that one of the rods you are comparing is the CND Atlantis which falls in the mid-price range (competition is 1.6x more). However this rod uses an exclusive IM8 graphite obtained from the aerospace industry, hard chrome Fuji SiC strippers, solid titanium frame SiC tip guide, titanium anodized reel seat and flora cork, 42" ruler on blank. It is a field-tested, tough-as-nails distance and big fly / big fish tool and it was all we could do to set the price at under $500 ($495) even though it has been designed and tested to be an upper echalon solution to the coastal fishing problem.

It's good to know that my work (among others of course) in two-handed rods for the surf is having a little impact on the industry's view of their place in flyfishing, albeit indirectly in this case. It's also good to know that we have three pricing levels to choose from in today's two-handed overhead SW flyrod market.

Choices are good.

M

·
0 Posts
Well I have one, and while I haven't fished it or cast it, the weather has been lousy of late, the recommended lines are standard long belly WF in the 12 class, which runs to about 570gns. Anything with a belly longer than 36 feet should work OK. A Rio striper is 120 feet with a long belly and it should also work. In Spey terms its a 8/9 with a tip load around 400gns and a butt at about 650 gns, similar to the Loop 12 foot 8/9's.
But its designed as a surf rod, particularly for east coast surf stripers if my info is correct but from deflection tests its a fast taper with butt grunt and would work very well off ocean rocks, jetties and such places as well as surf.
My test line for the 8/9 DH rods is a SA T40 comp line and the 12x12 should handle that easily. like 54 feet head, 625gns tungsten. 1V sink.
I'd suggest a Loop fast sink adaptive head in the 8/9 class for pure overhead surf fishing, and anything else and you should get 120 plus feet easy as pie. I like sinking lines, floaters and Int's are too fat.
But its very nice, in Lefty TiCr format and very classy stuff. Don't know the price out here, but should be near the US dollar/Oz equivalent.
Its different, probably in the Loop Greyine area for taper. Reminds me of the steelhead taper 9 foot rods one used to get from Fenwick but not quite as radical.
Still its very nice and maybe great for off the bricks billies. Max

·
Registered
650 Posts
Tfo 12x12

A Nice Rod....Casted my boy's JAzzman's the other nite and it felt good....spent some hours casting one @ alocal flyshop in DArien Ct. (Not ORvis) over the last few days w/ a 12wt floater...throws a nice loop..cork/handle is a bit on the "fat" side compared to atlantis. It feels "beefier" than the Atlantis. Yet the Atlantis' recovery helps to throw a ridiculous Loop.

I cannot really make an accurate comparison i.e. grain capabilities line recs etc.

I know this thread was not about comapring the Atlantis to the TFO but.....

I reccomend that folks try both before deciding.....while the price is definitely right, somehow I feel that you get what you pay for

IMHO, for my style of casting and given the applications intended (wind/big flies/big fish/big surf etc) the Atlantis is hands down the superior rod....

I have met you/juro once (you are a nice guy), have to my chagrin enjoyed to the "gently-aggressive marketing" of said rod , yet cannot help but feel that he/you is well w/in his/your rights to do so....The Atlantis rocks, hands down and all the credit deserved to the designer and everything that went into its conception.

David

M

·
0 Posts
Having said what I've said, if I had anything to do with DH rod design I'd consign snake guides to the bin and use something else at distances that look a bit like a spin fit out. My 15' Talon Madgar has PacBay aluminium guides, and three big strippers, the first is over the 1" mark and it really works. Rods are just rods, and this may be a bit funny but lines are just elongated sinkers. If one builds a 12 foot threadline surf rod the way we do, why not fly rods.
For the record my first SWF rod was a 10 foot Jervis Walker bream rod with the butt cut off with a handsaw. It ended up 9' 6". It threw a 5 line and I used it for a year and caught 27 species of fish. Which means it worked really well.
But at the same time I think as far as surf goes it depends on the surf, it ain't all the same stuff you know and one USA surf beach isn't like the one at my back door. Nor do they have the same fishes swimming along them. We don't have stripers for a start.
I'd prefer to use 12' DH overheads off rocks, where they must be the berries. But I like the TFO TiCr 12x12, its kind of built for my fly fishing. I haven't seen the Atlantis. Cheers Max

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have line recommendations for the TFO 12' rod, which I believe will be included in future rod shipments. For anyone who got the rod prior to this, please e-mail myself or Rick Pope at TFO and we will send them to you in MS Word format.

Jay Horton
[email protected]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts