Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use this rod? I think it is a switch butt. I would like to try this on my local Trout river. Is this a good way to start Spey or would you advise to start with a heavier set-up?

Thx

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
There are quite a few people using that rod and there is some info on it in the archives.

The best way to see if it fits your style of fishing is a test drive.

See your local shop for an on the water test drive. If that is not an option I will send you one for a no obligation test drive.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have it and it is a great rod. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be your first spey rod.

That said, TFO is comming out with a new trout spey (12'6" 4/5wt) that was developed with the help of Bob Meiser and Mike Kinney. It is due in the next month or two (I think) and if I were in the market for a trout spey right now- I would wait for that one.

Eric

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
the TFO - Meiser 12'6" that I recently cast (I believe the final proto for production) seemed to me suitable for large trout and small steelhead, a 6/7 wt in spey terms. To me, it had the power of a light steelhead rod. Great taper.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
my memory is not precise on this. I vaguely recollect that we spent a while with a long belly single hand 7 or 8 wt SA XXD/Distance line that cast well, but felt just a bit light (to me) when carrying the entire head (~70') with overhead casts. On the casting pond we had a (vaguely recollect) WC 6/7/8 (9?) that was a good match switch casting, if maybe a bit light.

admittedly I wasn't focused on finding a perfect line for it. Instead I was gauging how the rod loaded across a range of short to medium to long casts, how it transmitted feel, how it handled a range of gentle to aggressive strokes, how it dampened, etc. Mostly feel stuff. I can say with certainty from the power that this rod would handle when cast aggressively that it was no fairy wand 12" trout spey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts