Spey Pages banner

Testing the new GS lines

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  JDJones 
#1 ·
Hi all

It seems there is a lot of interest in the newer weight GrandSpey lines. Leeroy Teeple suggested that we send out a package of all the new lines (7/8 to 11/12) and make them available for anyone to try. As a result I have sent them off to him (Speyrd, on this board). If anyone would like to try these new lines, just drop him an email and he will send them on to you. Maybe use this post as a message center, so when anyone receives one of the new GS lines, they just add it to this post so all can tell where the lines are.

All I ask is that when you have given the line a go, you write some kind of feedback and let us know if it is a better line, or if it needs changes or lacks in someway or other. You are welcome to put such comments on this post, or send me a message privatley, if you prefer.

At some stage, they will be sent back to me here so I can check them over and see how the durability has gone, but that is way down the line.

I hope you all enjoy them as much as I do.

Very best wishes to all for 2005. I hope it is the Year of the Spey.

Petri Hail
Simon :smokin:

See less See more
#2 ·
A Pat on the Back for Rio

Howdy Simon,

I ordered some GrandSpey "lites" and sent them off to a customer only to find out they hadn't made it through your "slim fast" program. I called Rio and after some initial scrambling on Zach's part he told me that the GS labels would have the grain weights marked on them. He called me 3 times that day and he deserves points for his effort. The lines arrived with the labels marked and are on the way out. As a very small retailer I appreciate Zach's and Rio's efforts to take care of me in a timely manner.

Having the grain weights marked on the labels of all spey lines is a great idea.
Rio has been an very innovative in the spey line market. It would be nice if they led the way with marking the grain weights on the labels. I believe that whichever companies do this will see a positive response from the consumer.
Happy Holidays, MJC

#4 ·
Speybro said:
Hi all

(Speyrd, on this board). If anyone would like to try these new lines, just drop him an email and he will send them on to you. Maybe use this post as a message center, so when anyone receives one of the new GS lines, they just add it to this post so all can tell where the lines are.

Simon :smokin:
Is testing open to all, or just those in the US?

Cheers Gordon

#5 ·
Hi Gordon et al

You make a good point, Gordon. I'll have a word with Guide FlyFishing and see if they would be willing to do the same kind of thing. It would be easier that way.

MJC, sorry about the mix up. I know what went wrong and it has been all sorted out. Glad Zack looked after you okay.

Hammer, we changed the weights of the GrandSpey lines to fall into the new spey standards that have been approved by AFTMA. This made some slight taper and diameter changes, but essentially made the heads lighter for a given size. The new head weights are: 7/8 = 700 grains, 8/9 = 800 grains, 9/100 - 900 grains, 10/11 = 1100 grains and 11/12 = 1300 grains.

Cheers
Simon

#11 ·
More praise for Rio...

Having the grain weights marked on the labels of all spey lines is a great idea. Rio has been very innovative in the spey line market. It would be nice if they led the way with marking the grain weights on the labels. I believe that whichever companies do this will see a positive response from the consumer.
I just got some more Rio lines in stock and noticed that the grain weights of the head is marked on the box. All I can say is "way to go Rio!". Snowbee also marks the box with the weights. There may be others but I'm not aware of them.

HELLO spey line manufacturers. Jim Vincent is leading the way while some of the rest of you are playing catch up. How much can it cost to put a little sticker on a spey line box with the head weight. The positive PR surely would outweigh the cost.

#13 ·
The Snowbee rods are marked with the optimum head weight.

#15 · (Edited)
Yes the lines all have the same weight for a given size. I have only cast a
2-D 9/10. I have used it on a 14' Snowbee 9/10 which I think is a fantastic combo (yes I am biased), CND Custom1409SP, CND Expert 1409, and a Sage 9140 "brownie". This line casts nicely on all these rods.

I have these Snowbee rods in stock. All these rods are available for "test drives".
12'-6/7-optimal head weight 310grns
12'6"-7/8-optimal head weight 370grns
13'-8/9-optimal head weight 555grns
14'-9/10-optimal head weight 615grns
15'-10/11-optimal head weight 680grns

#16 ·
New line specs

Speybro said:
Hi Gordon et al

You make a good point, Gordon. I'll have a word with Guide FlyFishing and see if they would be willing to do the same kind of thing. It would be easier that way.

MJC, sorry about the mix up. I know what went wrong and it has been all sorted out. Glad Zack looked after you okay.

Hammer, we changed the weights of the GrandSpey lines to fall into the new spey standards that have been approved by AFTMA. This made some slight taper and diameter changes, but essentially made the heads lighter for a given size. The new head weights are: 7/8 = 700 grains, 8/9 = 800 grains, 9/100 - 900 grains, 10/11 = 1100 grains and 11/12 = 1300 grains.

Cheers
Simon
Simon, What happened to 1000 grains? :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.