Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved my fleet of Spey Trackers from Nobuo as I was preparing for my annual trip to my favourite trout lake in BC's Cariboo. Though I would primarily chironomid fishing I intended to give the 9'8" 6/7/8 a workout.

In casting the rod out in front of the house the day of its arrival I simply used the SA XPS #6 single handed flyline that I normally fish - I was impressed. As an overhead rod it was very nice. The IM8 graphite was crisp and produced a nice tight loop - I couldn't wait to get it to the lake!

I fished the first couple of days single-handed and relly liked the rod. However, it wasn't until the third day when I decided to cast double-handed overhead that I got really excited! The "push-pull" motion of the double handed cast produced surprising results. I was casting 15-20' further with noticeably less effort. I found that by simply levering both hands rather than extending them back and forth like one does with a single hand stroke I produced much higher line speed and some impressive casts. I really found this short economical stroke useful when I fished from a float tube.

While I've yet to test the rod with a spey-type line in moving water I intend to fish it and the 12'2" for some big river trout very soon.

As for the fishing? It was tough - but rewarding. This is a 5 1/2 lb fish that gobbled a #14 mayfly nymph...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A buddy and I also had a good side trip into a 4x4 mountain lake where the above mentioned float tubing took place. Though the fish weren't as big, 14-16", they were very strong and put up impressive fights on the 9'8" Spey Tracker.

Attachments

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Kush...

Thanks for the report. Very cool pics. I am ready to put some of these rods in the shop. Hello Mr Mukai?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Lovely fish

Trout fishing can be a blast and fills in when steelhead and salmon are not around. Is there any fishing, if we come up around the first week of August?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ted,

It will depend on where ou are going to be. In and around Vancouver will not have too much - the Skagit - that is the Canadian part above Ross Lake is one of the very few stream trout fisheries we have and would be a good bet. It is not far from Hope and is definitely aa easy day trip scenario from Vancouver.

As for lakes, early August is not considered prime flyfishing time. If a guy was lucky (or unlucky?) his visit may coincide with sockeye in the Fraser being open. Sure, it is a flossing (snag 'em on the outside of the mouth with long leaders) fishery - but it can be done nicely with steelhead fly gear and they put up a great fight and they "shor are good eatin'... " you could check with Michael & Young Flyshop or Anglers West - both Forum Sponsors for up to date info on fishing opportunities.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
I am going to start calling you Sharp Kushie :lildevl:

Thanks Tyler, looks like I need to spend more money.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
Thanks Sinktip I needed that.
Kush it looks like you had a great time. Your choice of reel completes the scene.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kevin,

It is funny, I think my "new' 4 1/4" Perfect is so cool, yet since I've had the 3 5/8" since the early '70's and it has been my regular trout reel for 30 years I don't tend to think of it as a "cool" reel. However, seeing on the Spey Tracker it is a Perfect!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kush,
Can you elaborate on the action of the the 9'8" 6/7/8 Spey Tracker when using it as a single-handed rod - fast, slow? Does it have a low swing weight or is it tip heavy at all? What about the 6/7/8 line designation? You mentioned you tried the XPS 6 wt on it - DT or WF? Is this rod an overkill for 14"-16" trout? I currently dead-drift and swing wets in a large river for trout with 9' 5 and 6 rods, and am curious about these light over/under rods. Sorry for all the questions, but I am excited by the possibilties with these new CNDs.

John

Oh, incredible looking rainbows. Look friggin wild. We don't have many of those here in PA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts