Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I (both BC residents) will be heading to smithers/terrace area for a week at the end of September for a steelhead trip. We both have single person rafts (watermaster type rigs). I'm looking for ideas from people that have experience in the area for ideas on what highlights to hit or ideas for the trip.

A few points:
-won't likely be hiring a guide
-we are both BC residents
-comfortable rafting and river camping for several nights
-will have two 4x4 vehicles
-will probably camp vs. stay in motels

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
If you intend to camp, might as well stay in the Smithers city park/camp ground. Showers and firewood, and several restaurants in town if you don't feel like cooking in camp. Good water in both directions, upstream and down.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Your trip should fall within prime time as long as the weather cooperates without enough rain to blow out the rivers. With two rafts and two vehicles you'll be set up great, there is a ton of water and choices for drifts. The hardest part is deciding where to fish as so much of it looks good.

The Smithers municipal campground is a great suggestion for a home base (hot showers, wifi and firewood included) with the exception of this year due to covid restrictions they are only open to self contained units only, no tents. In the past they were open until mid October but last year were closed for the year earlier at the end of September.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Talk to the guys at Oscars in Smithers. They also have a map of the various launches at the bottom of this page on their website. Fishing Info & Maps

There’s a few campgrounds in Smithers on the water, also one in Telkwa. There’s a more primitive camp up in Houston on the Morice.

There’s a number of good floats you can put together from Houston to Telkwa and Telkwa to Smithers down. If you launch up in Houston make sure you get a classified water for the Morice as the river changes names up there then it’s the Bukley below.

Below Smithers it gets into the Canyon and only private take out at trout creek plus it would be a really long float from Smithers to Trout Creek. Below that is the falls at Moricetown and then another canyon full of froggy water not the best for swinging flies.

Good luck. I’m jealous, wife and I go up there every year for 2 weeks of chasing steel but doesn’t look like they’ open the border for us drive up this year.

-Shane

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am also going and have been fishing the area for years. I phoned the campgrounds and , yes, no tenting, and I have phoned several. Perhaps they will ease restrictions by then.
There are campgrounds open in terrace, public and private.that are open.
Send me a PM with any questions.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
been to BC twice both times the last week of September, both times the trip was significantly impacted by rain. the first time the river was blown out the last 3 days the second time the rivers were blown out the first 4 days. the first trip i landed 6 fish for 7 days fishing the second trip i landed 1 and hooked one other in 7 days of fishing. I would float the Babine again but i would not go to the Buckley out of Smithers again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
been to BC twice both times the last week of September, both times the trip was significantly impacted by rain. the first time the river was blown out the last 3 days the second time the rivers were blown out the first 4 days. the first trip i landed 6 fish for 7 days fishing the second trip i landed 1 and hooked one other in 7 days of fishing. I would float the Babine again but i would not go to the Buckley out of Smithers again.
Any particular reason you wouldn't do the Bulkley again? I'm on the fence just due to the crowds it apparently gets. I like a bit of space so it might be a bit crowded based on what I've read. I'm expecting some rain, it's all part of the deal.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Rain and crowds can happen anywhere, any time and is a crap shoot. I’ve been a week later than you’re planning, the first week of October, the last four years and have lucked out and never been impacted to the point of not having easily accessible fishable water. That said, I’ve seen everything blow out a week leading up to the trip and two weeks after that could have just of easily happened while I was there. I’ve definitely had rain that has coloured up some stretches or some rivers but luckily not total blow outs.

Crowding can really depend on location and even day to day. I have had days where there were very few people around in a particular section and the next there day there were a lot in the same section. First time I floated Telkwa to Smithers it was like playing a game of leap frog with people in all the runs below every time you moved down. The same drift one day last year I literally saw two boats, three people total the whole day on the water. I’m sure it’s more crowded than it was “back in the day” but have never found it to be too much of an issue considering the level of crowding I am used to on home waters. For the most part even on the busy days most people show good etiquette and will not low hole on a run it just makes it a bit more challenging to find open runs. Last year there was noticeably less pressure the week I was there, I imagine due to the lower fish numbers, and I would hazard to guess this year may be similar due to travel and border restrictions or even some people’s willingness to travel even if the borders open up. If you’re a Canadian resident it helps that you are able to fish weekends.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This year should be great crowd wise, as I don't think the borders will be open by then.
And there is so much water to fish, there is always somewhere to fish, many rivers, much wTer. Last year found the bulkley to be almost void of fish, where as the year before it was stellar.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Any particular reason you wouldn't do the Bulkley again? I'm on the fence just due to the crowds it apparently gets. I like a bit of space so it might be a bit crowded based on what I've read. I'm expecting some rain, it's all part of the deal.
1000 is a ton of money for me to spend on a trip spending it and getting blown out just isn't something I am willing to do again. Also I wasn't a big fan of the Bulkley not much structure big wide open long runs I much preferred the smaller Kispiox. just my preference i suppose... If I were to go back to BC i'd go to Terrace in August better weather ( theoretically) coho ,chums and steelhead close to the Kispiox..

i could be totally wrong maybe i just didn't catch the Bulkley at a good time and am not being fair to it..

·
Registered
32 Posts
A friend and I (both BC residents) will be heading to smithers/terrace area for a week at the end of September for a steelhead trip. We both have single person rafts (watermaster type rigs). I'm looking for ideas from people that have experience in the area for ideas on what highlights to hit or ideas for the trip.

A few points:
-won't likely be hiring a guide
-we are both BC residents
-comfortable rafting and river camping for several nights
-will have two 4x4 vehicles
-will probably camp vs. stay in motels

Check in with Fort Telkwa www.forttelkwa.com/guesthouse they have 2 man cabins for rent and are very affordable $80 bucks a night , I do believe many of the private camp sites are not offering tenting this year because of covid restrictions.
They have a boat launch and Walcott and Quick are only a short drive and both offer very good drifts with lots of water to fish

Etiquette on the river is pretty good most guys with jet sleds will more often then not give guys drifting one or two runs before they stop to fish as they can always go back up river ....

The Smither's area is the most amazing landscape in the world so make sure you take a few moments from fishing and take a good look around !!!!! You'll be count the down the days to your next trip up I promise ...

Best of luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
1000 is a ton of money for me to spend on a trip spending it and getting blown out just isn't something I am willing to do again. Also I wasn't a big fan of the Bulkley not much structure big wide open long runs I much preferred the smaller Kispiox. just my preference i suppose... If I were to go back to BC i'd go to Terrace in August better weather ( theoretically) coho ,chums and steelhead close to the Kispiox..

i could be totally wrong maybe i just didn't catch the Bulkley at a good time and am not being fair to it..
Terrace is nowhere close to the kispiox, the kispiox gets very very crowded with gear fisherman.
$1000 is a ton of money to spend on a world class destination fishing trip? Most would disagree, the guided fisherman are now spending $1000 a day.
Getting blown out? Can't change Mother Nature. Roll the dice!

·
The Skeena in the fall
343 Posts

If $1000 is a lot of money for you then best not to bother with the Skeena system in the fall. As a non resident your fishing licence for 8 days is $50 plus $40 a day for the special waters tag plus a $60 steelhead tag so over $400 for licences alone for a week.
The Kispiox has large fish and usually large numbers of fishermen plus First Nations fees if you fish the from potato patch down.
I always figure I’ll spend about $500 per steelhead on my annual trip

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If $1000 is a lot of money for you then best not to bother with the Skeena system in the fall. As a non resident your fishing licence for 8 days is $50 plus $40 a day for the special waters tag plus a $60 steelhead tag so over $400 for licences alone for a week.
The Kispiox has large fish and usually large numbers of fishermen plus First Nations fees if you fish the from potato patch down.
I always figure I’ll spend about $500 per steelhead on my annual trip

yup.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Terrace is nowhere close to the kispiox, the kispiox gets very very crowded with gear fisherman.
$1000 is a ton of money to spend on a world class destination fishing trip? Most would disagree, the guided fisherman are now spending $1000 a day.
most fishermen have larger bank accounts than I do. i can't afford to roll the dice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Part of fishing is playing with Mother Nature, u can't roll the dice??????? U can't take the chance on rainfall while on a fishing holiday?????? Perhaps golf or chess is better suited to you?

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,404 Posts
Ok I’ve not been monitoring this one closely but guess I have to. Please keep it respectful and on topic as I don’t want to learn how to hand out a ban with the new system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ya the Bulkley sucks. You should fish the kispiox for sure! ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts