Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm all most afraid to ask these questions, but here they come: :lildevl:

I have a new TCR 9129-4 on its way to PaPa, and a Skagit 650 is on its way for this rod. :D

Are leaders used? If so how long, and what pound test at the lure end?

If leaders aren't used, what tippets, strength and length are recommended?

Are there any limits re size and weight of flies used?

Is there any more info re terminal stuff, we need to know?

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
You'll need tips and 4 foot leader

Size of flies, still working on that one

The new "Skagit Line" from Rio is a head (belly section) and running line.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brian, thanks, I have plenty of tips and a son who can cut/slice and dice T14 for me.

What pound tippet and is the standard Rio or Maxima okay?

Thanks again.

·
Skagiteer
38 Posts
On Leaders, Tippets, And Flies

I could write all night on this one and still not cover every possible scenario, but I couldn't resist giving a condensed version a try. I'll stick to sink tips from T-3 to T-14.

I'm a Maxima man.

Typically my leaders are 4' to 5' long, but they vary from 2' to 8'. For the length of leader I take into consideration the clarity of the water and the size of the fly. The clearer the water, the longer the leader. The larger the fly, the shorter the leader. These two things don't generally contradict each other as I tend to go with smaller flies in clear water.

When choosing a tippet I take into consideration the weight of the rod, the length of the leader and the size of the fly, but generally not the size of the fish. For average sized flies on 5wt to 7wt rods, I use 8lb, unless it's a real stiff 7wt like the sage 7141, then I'll use 10lb. I have on occasion used 6lb on 5 and 6wt's in gin clear water. For 8wt and some 9wt rods I use 10lb. For some 9wt's and 10wt's I use 12lb. For smaller flies I'll go down one size and lengthen the leader. For larger or heavier flies I'll go up one size and shorten the leader. I should also add that I also take into consideration the skill of the caster, if they're cracking flies off - bump it up!

I use the full range of known (known to me) steelhead flies.

Pleeeeease understand that this is a very general formula and that there are other factors that may come into play (such as laziness and experimentation).

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scott thanks:

"Typically my leaders are 4' to 5' long, but they vary from 2' to 8'. For the length of leader I take into consideration the clarity of the water and the size of the fly. The clearer the water, the longer the leader. The larger the fly, the shorter the leader. These two things don't generally contradict each other as I tend to go with smaller flies in clear water."

We do the same thing with Shad Flies on the American and Sacramento river, in the morning and evening, larger flies and shorter and heavier tippets. During the bright middle of the day, smaller flies and smaller/longer tippets.

"When choosing a tippet I take into consideration the weight of the rod, the length of the leader and the size of the fly, but generally not the size of the fish. For average sized flies on 5wt to 7wt rods, I use 8lb, unless it's a real stiff 7wt like the sage 7141, then I'll use 10lb. I have on occasion used 6lb on 5 and 6wt's in gin clear water. For 8wt and some 9wt rods I use 10lb. For some 9wt's and 10wt's I use 12lb. For smaller flies I'll go down one size and lengthen the leader. For larger or heavier flies I'll go up one size and shorten the leader. I should also add that I also take into consideration the skill of the caster, if they're cracking flies off - bump it up!"

So for my TCR 9126, I will need 10 and 12 # tippet/leader. Probably 6 to 8 # for my 6126 once I figure out what size of line to use. Who knows with my 7141 that acts like 9-10 weight.

I crack off a lot fewer flies after I stopped using fluorocarbon tippets and went to Maxima or Rio mono. If I crack them off with the Maxima or Rio mono, I'm probably tired and need to take a rest or stop fishing for the day.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Excellent replies Scott and Grampa. Your responses are the reason I subscribe to Spey Pages. Priceless information.

Thank you very much.

Ed

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Link, thanks for the kind words.

link said:
Excellent replies Scott and Grampa. Your responses are the reason I subscribe to Spey Pages. Priceless information.

Thank you very much.

Ed
Actually, the good data came from Scott and Brian. They were kind enough to share their knowledge with us after I asked my question.

As you noted, we get priceless information here at the Spey Pages. The information saves us hours of research, hours of frustration and probably a lot of money.

For a mere $3.3333 cents per month or $40/year, we get to learn from the masters of two handed casting in America, Canada, the UK, Sweden and other places.

I let all of my subscriptions to fly fishing magazines and news letters expire. I'm into two handed fishing, and this is the only place/site in the world to learn from the masters.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Grampa Spey said:
I crack off a lot fewer flies after I stopped using fluorocarbon tippets
If you perfer flourocarbon, try Seaguar. I've been using it exclusively for about as long as it's been around. Great stuff. Just steer clear of their "Carbon Pro" lines.

I'm pretty new to the two-handed game, but I've been sink tipping with a one-hander forever. I would presume that the business end of the line is the same for both. I don't use tapered leaders at all. Just 2-6ft of 10-12lb Seaguar.

As far as flies goes, I'm taking that secret to the grave....if I ever figure it out. LOL. Just kidding. I fish anything from sparsely dressed size 8's to size 2 clumps of fur & feathers. I know alot of situations in the PNW call for huge flies, but on my waters size 2 is the legal limit.

·
JD
3,610 Posts
huge flies

CraigSC said:
I know alot of situations in the PNW call for huge flies, but on my waters size 2 is the legal limit.
Tie as big a fly as you want. (ie:string leech) Tie a loop of something like fire wire to the hook. Cut the original hook at the bend, and loop a smaller, legal size short shank hook to the fire wire. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts