Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
103 Posts
I didn't even know they had two-handers. Yes, if someone could speak about one of these soon, please, I'd appreciate it also. I was going to go with the Redington 2-hander, but since this rod is in the same price range I'd be very interested to hear how it performs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased my 14' 10# TFO this summer after attending he Sandy and throwing lines on all the finest rods. While I appreciate the beauty and quality most of the sample rods displayed, I no longer have the resources to devote to my hobbies as I have in the past.

Having said this, after casting the TFO Pro (Lefty Kreh Series) I was speechless. It cast beautifully on the grass and down at the water, "even I" could throw a sink tip reasonably well.

While I recognized the rod was a plain jane, I was unaware of the actual price until asking. Wow, what a VALUE! :whoa:

While I love bamboo and use cane rods exclusively anymore, I couldn't resist this easiy to cast rod. My cane spey rod is seldom used any more.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I've cast several of the TFO 2-handers and they are a great value for the money. No, hey do not cast like the Loomis, CND, Sage, Meiser, Loop, Carron, and Snowbee rods; but they are a good rod for the new to average spey caster or spey caster on a limited budget who likes a moderate recovering, moderately stiff rod that flexes into the middle of the blank when casting. The TFO's are sort of like a stiffer CND Custom, although slower in recovery because of the IM6 graphite in the TFO as opposed to the IM8 in the CND Custom. Like I said, they are along with the ECHO 2-handers a great value.

Flyfisha1,

The new Redingtons are a lot stiffer, faster recovering, better perfoming rods than the IM6 graphite TFO's.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The TFO spey series are a GREAT value.

The 12' 6" 6/7 wt rod is a real pleasure to cast (my favorite of the series!). Outfitted with a Skagit 450 it is a wonderful tip rod. For dry lines I like the 6/7 mid spey but am looking forward to trying the 6/7 Delta. Have heard good things about that combination (with the multi tip system) and this sounds like it would make this a great, and affordable, set up.

The 15' 10 wt paired with a Carron Jet Stream 10/11 is incredible. In fact, it is an effortless big water combination.

The TFO's offer excellent performance at an affordable price. I'm sold on them. These rods will perform commensurate with an angler's abilities and will offer years of faithful service. Excellent company with a great warranty to boot.

Chris

P.S. The single handers TFO offers are hands down the finest value on the fly market. Try them as well!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Flytyer...you make an interesting observation...

..."moderately stiff rod that flexes into the middle of the blank"...

Since I use bamboo so much, with it's inhearantly slow actions, this may be one reason the TFO appeals to me so much. Maybe I'm wrong as I am really not a very sophisticated speycaster yet.

Maybe after I have learned more and gained more experience with a variety of speyrods I will appreciate the upper crust rods ...more fully. But for now, the TFO is tough to beat for my level.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tfo

The summer before last I started to really get curious about spey casting and purchased the 12.6 ft 8wt model. Although my line weight is still undermatched, I still love casting it. From my experience it is a very versitlie rod and I have been able to catch some nice fish with it. It was even big enough to handle several smaller chinooks this fall.
It is a great beginner rod, however I wish I would have purchased a 14 ft rod. I have found it too short for rivers like the Sandy and Deschutes. At any rate it is the perfect price for the beginner. Cheers!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Canespeyer,

You might want to consider the ECHO 2-handers because they are also a very good value and sell for the same price as TFO, $250.00. The reason I mention ECHO might be a better choice for you is that they are a full-flexing (bend to the cork on most casts), moderately-slow rod that is probably closer to the cane rod actions and feel you are used to.

At any rate, TFO are made in Korea and ECHO are made in China, are decent quality, are good values, and offer the new or inexperienced spey caster a rod that will serve them well for years.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
CaneSpeyer,

Both TFO and ECHO are of similar quality. However, they have very different actions. The TFO 2-handers (with one exception) are faster and stiffer than the ECHO's. Like I already mentioned, the TFO's are a mid-flex, moderately fast and moderately-stiff rod. Whereas, the ECHO's are a full-flex, moderate, moderately soft rod (much like the Sage traditional series 2-handers).

The one exception I've seen in the ECHO's is the 12'6" ECHO. It is a medium-stiff, tip-flex, medium-fast rod.

The difference between them really is one of action.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts