Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a web link to the recipe for these types of flies. I was reading a old magazine (Atlantic Salmon Review) and they mentioned these types of flies but unfortunately they don't have a recipe with in that montly issue.

Thanks for the help. :D

Hansen

·
Registered
58 Posts
Templedog

The templedog is a series of tube flies developed by the swedish fly tyer Hakan Norling. They all are tied with the same style and with the use of "templedog" hair for the wing. This can be substiuted with good quality artic fox. There was an article in Atlantic salmon review with some recipes and a similar article appeared in Trout and Salmon a while back. A special thing with the original series was the tie in procedure of the wing. It was usually tied in pointing forward and then folded back to provide more lift. I don't do this anymore, and the fly still works fine.

Another swedish flytyer Mikael Frodin ties a series of flies to using the Templedog material and a similar styling of his flies.

This is the recipe for the original templedog tube. This is a very good salmon fly, so try it out. Tie it on a plastic tube fly. You will today often see it with a small cone head.

Tag: Oval gold.
Tail and butt: Orange antron
Body: half gold holographic/embossed tinsel, half black dubbing
Rib: oval gold
Body hackle: Hot orange silver badger.
Under wing: Brown templedog, a few rainbow flash fibres, a few peacock herls.
Over wing: Black templedog.
Hackle: Black cock hackle.
Sides: jungle cock.

There is a photo on http://www.boerseth.no/fluefiske/fluer/tempelhund.php

Knut

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Always

Anytime I need a bigger pattern for Steelhead or Salmo I pull out a templedog. Using my TTS tubes I c an tire 1/2 inch style temple dogs that fish shallow or deep

They are deadly on Steelhead

This is why I have created the TTS tubes and made available furs for tying TD flies

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts