Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used tcx 8119 (in mint condition) from one of our brothers on here and I need a reel to balance it. I took her to my home water for my "1st time" and strapped my Hatch 7 plus to her seat. She was as fast as all the rumors around town, but she was too top heavy (I like a little more junk in the trunk so to speak. I was swinging my heavy tip and big black leech so maybe that's what threw her off, but she did not feel balanced for my taste. I like my heavy Loop classic 8/10 on my Cross S1 8130, but that seems like too much for her to handle. Anyway, I cant complain cuz I was hooked up with a hot 1 salt chromer within the hour, but she too wasn't feelin me so she spit in my face as I was about to tail her and was gone!

Any advice on a reel heavier then a Hatch 7 plus to balance my new girl would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Austin for hookin me up.

Kristian

PS-I hope I didn't offend any of you lady swingers with my suggestive post :tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the Hatch 7 would be perfect, but it just feels too light. The capacity is on point, but if it was a 2-3 oz heavier...! Maybe I'm looney! I thought about putting some sink tip under the backing to add some weight!? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Kristian, I have that same rod and for me it balances well with a Hardy Marquis Salmon 2, which weighs 9.6 oz. The only problem is it doesn't really fit the reel seat.................just enough, however, that I'm able to tape it on. Not ideal but it works. In any event, it gives you an idea of what weight may work for you. Good luck with the rod.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gregor 42. I was thinking something around 10oz as well. I know for some the balance of a reel isn't a big deal, but after fishing a heavy classic reel I've seen how important the fulcrum is. A well balanced Rod greatly improves casting and with line in the water during the swing the balance allows for a lighter grip and ultimately less fatigue. I've become sort of student of spey mechanics and ergonomics so I appreciate everyone's feedback. Happy Sunday

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
at 11'9'' Im thinking this is a length where weight actually starts coming into play as far as balance goes in keeping the tip from dropping or ridding high creating fatigue on the angler. Not so much casting wise. I often cast rod/line combos without a reel and never feel a difference when I do spool the line.

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Interesting, for me I was having a hard(ish) time finding a reel light enough with enough capacity. I've ended up with the Sage 3880CF with the composite spool, balances perfectly, using backing/running line/head (usually scandi) system. My 8119 is a Gary Anderson build.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting, for me I was having a hard(ish) time finding a reel light enough with enough capacity. I've ended up with the Sage 3880CF with the composite spool, balances perfectly, using backing/running line/head (usually scandi) system. My 8119 is a Gary Anderson build.
When fishing a Scandi, I'm assuming you are fishing a floating or lightly sinking poly and skater or wet fly.? If so there isn't alot of drag during the swing which would make reel balance not a huge issue. I'm fishing an Airflo Skagit Switch 510gr, 10-12' of T14, and a heavily weighted MOAL leech in heavy winter flows which all add up to a ton of drag in the water.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I personally use a nautilus NV 10/11 on this rod and it is perfect with scandi or skagit. It weighs just under 8oz which seems a lot lighter than the other reels suggested here. I guess it's down to personal preference but I cannot imagine using anything heavier than 8oz on this rod

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In order to help balance a rod and reel combo I have heard of guys wrapping flat lead or lead core line on the spool of the reel before you put your backing on. I think if you weigh the reel the way that it is set up now with the line and the backing left on, and then weigh the reel with all the line and backing removed, the difference in weight should give you a pretty good idea how much lead that you will need to wrap to get up to the weight that you feel that you need to balance the rod and reel. Hopefully you have the size of drum on your reel that will accept the extra material.

harley
I have heard of this but Ive never don't it. Makes sense though. Thanks Harley.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I like my Abel Switch or Spey reels on this rod. They are 8.5 oz and 9 oz respectively. I also hold my hand up the cork during the swing, at times with a finger on the blank. Sweet little rod with some backbone.
B13R

·
Steelhead junkie
342 Posts
Not sure what it weighs, but I use an Orvis Mirage V on my 8119 and it balances it perfectly with my scandi setup.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you so much for everyone's input. I ordered up a Hatch 9 plus (10.6oz) for use with my Skagit, tips and heavy bugs. In the summer I will probably use my Hatch 7 plus with my Scandi for dry line work. Again, thanks for the advice and Happy Holidays to all.

Kristian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts