Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Sun Ray Shadow
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what heads you guys like im prone to like Airflo but am open to suggestions both Skagit and scandi info please

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just started taking this rod out again. I have the older Rio Skagit flight 425 gr @ 23.5 feet, pale orange with the 35lb grip shooter. Throwing some really nice loops with good turnover with any T11 MOW tip you want. I have also used the Airflo Skagit Switch in 450 gr when up against the bank. Both lines work well for me on this rod, but my preference is with the lighter head. The rod is so light in hand, a joy to fish all day long. The rod is not as stiff as some may think, just keep your form precise, slow and short. With the right amount of bottom hand you can generate a lot of line speed. My favorite rod at the moment. Sorry, but can't help you out with Scandi or other lines.
B13R

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,254 Posts
I like the 450 Skagit switch too, and 450 compact scandi.

I have a 7/8 AFS in Hover/Int I want to try on mine, as well as a Powertaper S1 head I want to try on it, but I'd need a bit more backcast room for them.

The ballpark for me is 450 gr. Boy, do I like that rod. Way more pleasing to cast than Death Star, forgiving, but fires like a little cannon.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I use this rod a lot for Atlantic Salmon. Favourite line is the Old Rio AFS in a 6/7 with a 10' polyleader. I also like the Rio Scandi Short VT in a 7.
The airflo rage I have used on it was a 450 which felt about right.
Its a great rod as is the 8wt

·
Registered
576 Posts
Skagit switch 450

The 450 Skagit switch is a match made in heaven! This is one of my fav rods , I picked up a Death Star and got rid of it as I thought they were very different in comparison. I've fished a 390 Scandi comp with int and sinking Polys and felt great for me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Also initially tried Deathstar but found the 7119 much more suitable to my casting, and a better fit to the rivers I frequent. Great rod for fishing surface flies on the NU with a 390g or 420g Rage and 14' polyleader. Also enough backbone to handle larger winter fish with a 450g Skagit and T11 tips. When TCX's were discontinued a lot of anglers got a sweet rod at a bargain price - thanks Sage , keep those new models coming !

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/attachment.php?attachmentid=99201&stc=1&d=1419103736

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Also initially tried Deathstar but found the 7119 much more suitable to my casting, and a better fit to the rivers I frequent. Great rod for fishing surface flies on the NU with a 390g or 420g Rage and 14' polyleader. Also enough backbone to handle larger winter fish with a 450g Skagit and T11 tips. When TCX's were discontinued a lot of anglers got a sweet rod at a bargain price - thanks Sage , keep those new models coming !

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/attachment.php?attachmentid=99201&stc=1&d=1419103736
I was in disbelief when the Deathstar felt totally different, I thought it was my line choice but it was a total different feel for me. Glad to kno others who like the 7119 had same opinion on the 12"6.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts