Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I received my new Sage TCR 9129-4. This is the TCR that I successfully bid on. Paul at Sage graciously allowed me to substitute this rod instead of the TCR 9140-4 due to my old damaged shoulders.

The rod is beautiful. It weighed in at 8.6 ounces.

I will have to learn how to hold the handle as it is different than any Spey rod which I have owned. The bubble at the end of the handle is definitely different.

Yesterday, I tried the Sage TCR 9129-4 with my new Carron 9/10 Jet Stream, another successful auction bid with a 15’ Rio Steelhead leader and 2-3’ of Rio Max tippet.

The test was in my usual horrible spot on the Napa River where I can’t wade, zero room behind for a cast and there was an incoming tide with river right and the tide coming in. The wind as usual was swirling in all directions at 10 to 15 mph. As bad as it is, it still beats driving 2 hours to test a rod or to practice casting.

The rod did a superb job with my terrible Right hand Double Spey and the Snake roll. The wind had zero impact, and I had the tightest loops with my Snakes that I have ever had. The rod was excellent in setting up casts in this bad casting situation with modified snakes, rolls and switch casts. :D

Left handed casts were another story. At the end of the two hour test, I was wind milling my Double Spey casts and my Snakes were fair. Obviously, I was doing something wrong with both. :confused: Paul at Sage recommends using the Circle, Single or Snap T with River Left. I guess that I will have to learn the Circle cast. :roll:

Thanks to Sage for donating this great rod to our cause. Many thanks to Paul for his great help and advise re these truly different TCR Spey rods.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just measured my new TCR 9129-4, and it is a true 12' 9" rod. After reading the news letter from FlyFish USA, a lot of rods are not the length, advertised.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I'm a little surprised that you found the Jetstream 9/10 a good match for the rod. In my experience, my 9/10 matches best with 8 wt rods and the 10/11 matches much better with my 9 wts. As a matter of fact, the 10/11 performs very well even on my Burkheimer 1398. Of course, I've never cast the TCR. If you get a chance, you should give the 10/11 a try.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course, I'm a newbee and an old 66 year old damaged caster, so what works for me might not work for others.

The 9/10 Jetstream worked great for me on the river right and right casts. What do I call great: Casting the entire head, the 15' leader, 2-3' of tippet, good size winter steelhead flies and on some casts shooting a rod length of line with fairly good loops on most casts.

Maybe I need the 10/11 for River left and left hand casts.

I plan to take this rod to the Speyorama this April. Maybe someone will have a 10/11 jet stream to cast.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lines for SAGE TCR 9129-4

Grampa congratulations with a great rod.

Some more lines you may want to cast and fish on the SAGE TCR 9129-4. The SA Short Belly 9/10, Rio Windcutter 9/10/11 and my personal favorites a Scandinavian shooting head some 10,2-10,5 m long wich will weight some 34 gram.

Don't overload the rod with a 10/11 long belly line it wil take all the speed out of the rod.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the recommendations for the TCR 9129-4

Ullsock said:
Grampa congratulations with a great rod.

Some more lines you may want to cast and fish on the SAGE TCR 9129-4. The SA Short Belly 9/10, Rio Windcutter 9/10/11 and my personal favorites a Scandinavian shooting head some 10, 2-10,5 m long which will weigh some 34 gram.

Don't overload the rod with a 10/11 long belly line it wil take all the speed out of the rod.
Thanks. Yesterday, I tried my Skagit Spey 9/10, the 650 grain, with the Rio tip compensator and various Rio 9/10 wieight, 15' tips, 2 to 3' of tippet and some fairly good size flies with my new TCR.

I'm sure that I didn't do the Skagit casts correctly. ;)

However, the rod, the Skagit line with minimal effort put the head, tips and flies out there. Before my session was over, I was able to shoot the fly, tips, head and about 12 to 15' of running line. This combo got deep quick, and after losing a few flies, I had to use the slower sinking tips and the intermediate tip.

On my next trip, I plan to use my Rio 26' DC sinking tips from my Rio Versi Tip Striper set. 3 of these tips run between 250 grain to 350 grains. The 450 grain is probably too heavy. I will have my son slice some T14 into some various lengths for future trips.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Rio Windcutter 9/10/11. Yesterday, I was thinking the WC 9/10/11 would probably work well with this TCR. Interesting enough, the WC9/10/11 w/o tips 1 and 2 is the recommended Skagit line for my Sage 6126. If the line works for two rods, it is easier to justify the cost.

Two questions for you, please:

1. How does your TCR work with underhand casts?
2. Is it effective in bringing in a good sized fish with its stiffness and short length (it should be)?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sage Tcr 9129-4

The rod works realy well with a short casting stroke and suits the underhand casting style very well. You can work and control the cast very nicely with the mushroom style butt grip which rotates nicely trough the palm of your bottum hand only holding it by circling your thumb and indexfinger around the neopreen and cork 'mushroom' head.

The SAGE Rep in Mainland Europe send me a rod to use on the Skeena System last fall (5 weeks of fishing). I landed about 25 fish (steelhead) with the rod, the largest 3 fish were: 41x20.5, 39x19 and 38.5x18. The rod played the fish with great control using the powerful, but smooth, lower section of the rod. A real fishing tool.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ullsock

Sage Tcr 9129-4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The rod works realy well with a short casting stroke and suits the underhand casting style very well. You can work and control the cast very nicely with the mushroom style butt grip which rotates nicely trough the palm of your bottum hand only holding it by circling your thumb and indexfinger around the neopreen and cork 'mushroom' head."

Thanks for the above. Yesterday, I felt that this TCR would be excellent with the underhand casting. I had felt that the mushroom knob was designed for the underhand grip. I will have to try holding like you noted.

"The SAGE Rep in Mainland Europe send me a rod to use on the Skeena System last fall. I landed about 25 fish with the rod, the largest 3 fish were: 41x20.5, 39x19 and 38.5x18. The rod played the fish with great control using the powerful, but smooth, lower section of the rod. A real fishing tool. "

One of the many and positive things about my relatively new Sage 6126 was its ability to fight and quickly subdue 3-5 pound Shad, trout and Steelhead. Then, be able to bring in the subdued fish in to be grabbed and released without having to go to shore.
Which means that you can stay in the pocket for the next fish and not have to wade into shore to land the fish and then back out and hope that you are in the right place.

I'm sure that this TCR is even more effective in subduing and releasing the fish than the 6126.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts