Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know the optimum grain wieght for loading this rod? I have heard that most 10/11 lines should work well but I also noticed from the spey-o-rama thread that Scott used a line well over 1000grains when he used the rod in competition. Anyone have any idea why you would use a line so heavy on this rod and is it recomended to do so? Anyone used a windcutter, delta , or other shorter head line on this rod? Id also like to hear about anyone who has tried a new xlt or other long line on this rod as well. Thanks in advance!
Tim

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lines for SAGE TCR 10150-4

We use a number of different lines on this rod, because the rod can handle a broad range of lines. The line I mostly use is a Scandinavian Shootinghead 10/11 with 40 gram.

I also like the SA Short Spey 10/11 on this rod a lot or the windcutter 10/11/12.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Mark Bachman at Speyorama used a special Skagit w/this rod

Friday, at the Speyorama, Mark used a special Skagit with this rod and after a few casts he found the loading points and was firing this anchor line out like a big laser. I think that the line was some where in the :Eyecrazy: 1000 grain window for the head.

Simon, Mike, Scott or Mark or maybe Bob Pauli can tell you the weight of the Skagit used by Mark.

With this rod and line, bears will probably run away from you in shock and awe. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input guys! I would love to hear from Bob or some of the other fellows on the virtues of using very heavy short head lines on this rod and if it is recomended to do so. 1000 grains plus seems heavy for a 15ft 10 but maybe this rod can handle that?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
My TCR 9129-4 works well with the 650 or 750 Skagit

TimDog said:
thanks for the input guys! I would love to hear from Bob or some of the other fellows on the virtues of using very heavy short head lines on this rod and if it is recomended to do so. 1000 grains plus seems heavy for a 15ft 10 but maybe this rod can handle that?
Bob Pauli tested my TCR 9129-4 with the Skagit 750 and some very heavy and long tips, (check his data). Bob hummed that 750 and heavy tips out with no problems.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its funny the more i read about this rod the more it sounds like it can handle anything you throw on it. I just went back through the speyorama thread and noticed Kush said Mr.O Donnell's line was 1400 grains...wow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts