Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the new version Taupo or 4" Perfect for a 7-8 weight 13-14 ft rod. Thought and experience would be appreciated. I tend to always dunk my reels, how bad is that going to be on one of these? I fish Salmon 2 currently.

Thanks

DH

·
Spey Is The Way
1,037 Posts
The Taupo is very similar to the St. John and the Marquis Salmon No.1 in capacity. There is also the Bougle 4" to consider.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
These reels are anodized. Wet backing in the spool or dunking the reels is a non-issue as long as you keep all steel parts lightly oiled and greased as per recs.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,307 Posts
I have always thought that subjecting my reels to submersion and or sand & other forms of grout was a bad idea. Now I'm not going to tell you how to live or fish but I will say that in 50 years of fishing I have not encountered many situations where I had to dunk a rod and reel. While I can't say this wasn't happening in the days gone by it seems to be a trend in current times, I relate it to many other things which are changing around me as I age.

I fish with reels ranging from Featherweight - Princess - Viscount LA - to the Taupo and a 4 1/4" perfect. My Alnwick Cascapedia sees a lot of time every season also, I avoid water and all other forms of introduction of materials into the workings of the reels and never have a problem. This past November one of the springs in the big Perfect decided to break, my point in mentioning this being that enough things can happen on their own so why ask for a complication.

For use with rods the size you mention I'd take the larger reel for the slight weight increase and for aesthetics. My 4 1/4 is not too big on a 13'9" so in this case I'd go big. I can't close without saying, take good care of that :)

Ard

·
Dom
3,157 Posts
My rod always ends up in water when fish is landed. I feel that I can handle fish with more care having both hands unoccupied. Anyways, good choice.

I have the current Taupo and its my sub 12' reel. It would work on 7 weight 13'er but its tad light. On the other hand 4" Perfect is in 11oz range and will make a 7 weight 13'er butt heavy but thats how I like it. I ordered 4" for my 13'6" 7 weight with high hopes it will be spot on.

But... before you decide make sure to consider the new Hardy Duchess!!! Absolutely stoked to put my hands on it!

Kingpin at 10oz would be good option too. Check my listing.

·
skagitard with skagitude
339 Posts
I have the taupo and my buddy has the 4".

The 4" is MUCH bigger and has an extra bar on the spool. Will definitely balance heavier/longer rods better too. For a 8wt 14ft, get the 4" in my opinion.

My taupo fits 200+ yds backing, mono running line, and all heads I've thrown at it with plenty of room (ff 55, 540 skagits + tips, scandis + polys + leader, etc).

I've also fit a fully integrated steve godshall line on it, but that was a tigther fit obviously (still fine).

·
Registered
482 Posts
My Taupo works well on rods shorter than the one you intend to use. I use it on my 12' 6" and shorter rods. As others have said you should go with the 4" perfect for the rod your using.

One thing to keep in mind is the Perfects are cutting edge, late 19th century technology. You put them in the water or the dirt you need to clean them and relube. They require more attention than a modern reel design like a Danielsson.

A. H. E. Wood cleaned his reels everyday....but then again he was rich and had nothing else to do except catch salmon.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts