Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my wife and I are heading to taupo in December and we're pretty new at double handed rods and was wanting some help on what set up to use we've got a 6wt 11' switch rod with 300 grain opst commando smooth line i have some sink tips and been told to get a float tip aswell, would it be better to use streamers, nymphs or some big cicada flies.

·
Registered
521 Posts
There is a member AJS Reels who lives in New Zealand and posts on here I would suggest reaching out to him. I would imagine he can provide you with some info or insight.

·
Leaking Wader
40 Posts
Hi my wife and I are heading to taupo in December and we're pretty new at double handed rods and was wanting some help on what set up to use we've got a 6wt 11' switch rod with 300 grain opst commando smooth line i have some sink tips and been told to get a float tip aswell, would it be better to use streamers, nymphs or some big cicada flies.
Hi

Your rod and line will work fine on Tongariro. Main winter/spring run would be pretty much over by then, but you can still catch fresh fish in December. There will also be Browns coming up into the river at that time of the year, and they can be caught on swing especially in the evening or at night.

Bring a single hander for dry and upstream nymph action too if you are into that. Although you could probably do them with a Switch rod too. Will be little early for Cicada season (end of Jan to Feb normally is the peak), though.

Enjoy Taupo!

·
AJS Reels
436 Posts
Tongariro Rods

Hi Sean

Evening swinging with the switch, light tips and small muddlers size10:smokin::smokin:
Change of light and in to the dark put on a large black and red swinger for the browns and pick a nice deep pool, be patient.
If you have single handers 5wt 9'6'' up to 6wt 10' bring one, covers the nymph game and swing option. Some superb water to swing can be found between pools, fast waist deep stuff, skagit head, 6 i.p.s. 10' poly or lighter depending on flow, tandem wets on the end size 10/12.
You should encounter plenty of mending fish bows which are feeding on the plentiful mayfly hatches during the day and the evening is caddis time. Move around and don't focus too much on the town pools, go exploring upstream;)
I hope your time is booked prior to the full moon as fish will be more active in this phase period, the shut down when fish can be stubborn to raise I find is the week leading in to the new moon, go rafting, sight seeing or shopping in Taupo then ;)
Tight lines

1 - 4 of 4 Posts