Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another fly I saw in Bob Veverka's book (page 17). Doing the best I can with the "legal" heron I obtained from CTFC. It is good quality but the stem length is rather short so you only get about 3 -4 wraps. I started the spey hackle at the 3/4 point on the body. Filled in behind it with some red rooster hackle at the halfway point.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
that wing is really sweet. Don;t worry too much about where your heron starts, so long as you have some up at the collar i think you are golden.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Buy the extra large sizes for CTFC and the stem will be as long as you ever need it to be. For some reason on those shorter stems the fibers are waaaaay to long, on the extra large feathers the fibers are more of a reasonable length. I personally dont like when the fibers are any longer than the back of the hook unless the pattern calls for it.

Cool fly!

Andrew

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the kind words and tips everyone!

KOVA1385: I am purchasing the largest size legal heron they can ship to me in the USA. Wish I could get my hands on some of that "Canadian heron". :)

Hook is a 1/0 Partridge Bartleet XL blind-eye.

Tinsel: for the tag- small mylar silver 5 wraps doubled
for the rib - medium mylar silver

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Very nicely tied.

The TARTAN DEEs I've seen all had the rooster hackle start at the 2nd turn of tinsel on the orange body segment. And the rooster hackle was Natural Red Rooster hackle (i.e. natural reddish-brown/normal natural brown rooster hackle), it appears that you used dyed red neck hackle, but that might be an illusion caused by the photograph. The spey hackle on them was tied in and started on the red body segment. Yes. I know it is a pain to wrap the rooster hackle and then add the spey hackle over the front edge of it, but it does look better. The trick is to leave a space just big enough for the spey hackle stem between the rooster hackle stem and the oval tinsel on the front body segment.

But like I said, very nicely tied!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts