Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Rather than butt, "class tippet" and shock/bite tippet sections, with fancy connecting knots, why not use a simple, straight piece of 80lb. flourocarbon? Fewer knots to fail. If the fish are not spooked by 80-100lb. shock tippet to the fly, why would a longer piece be a problem? Only two reasons come to mind: 1) you're hoping to set a record with a "class" tippet, or 2) you want a tippet you could possibly break if necessary. Am I missing something?
IMHO you are missing nothing. A lot of people I know fish for tarpon with a straight 80-100lb in cuba, etc

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'll bet they aren't surgeons or pianists either. I know a lot of guys do it. That doesn't make it smart. Get the line wrapped around your thigh when clearing the line and you might be going for a ride. Tarpon leaders also require different knots than a bonefish leader. Do a little searching around on the web to find out what experienced tarpon guys are using and tying. By the way, in the Keys very few guys are using 80# class any more. In fact, I only occasionally use 60#. Just as the flies have moved from 4/0-5/0 down to 1/0 and even sometimes smaller, the class tippets are now often 40#-50# FC. Spooky fish!
I know. We went down to #40 in the Keys this spring. Sure we got a few more bites, but they all broke off after a few jumps.

I would personally have little problems using a straight #80 if the fish did not mind. KISS

·
Registered
670 Posts
Okay... The first three that broke off from the #40 were tied by our guide. The two after that by me. As we did not hit the fish on the "button" the #40 just came back like sand paper with 8-10" missing. I guess we were unlucky and just deep hooked the fish. Our guide suggested we go up to #50 but behind his back we went to #60... :) Got three to the boat after that.

But no worries, i gotcha.

Btw. They use a lot #120 and #130 straight with the mega tarpons in costa rica and the GT in seychells. Thats mad! :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Btw. They use a lot #120 and #130 straight with the mega tarpons in costa rica and the GT in seychells. Thats mad! :)
Well, I guess you are Committed with that set up; you either land the fish or it takes all of your line.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much so. I would not mind loosing all my lines to a fish. It is actually one of my life long dreams to get such a beating from a fish that the arbor knot would say BING!! ;):hihi:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.