Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than butt, "class tippet" and shock/bite tippet sections, with fancy connecting knots, why not use a simple, straight piece of 80lb. flourocarbon? Fewer knots to fail. If the fish are not spooked by 80-100lb. shock tippet to the fly, why would a longer piece be a problem? Only two reasons come to mind: 1) you're hoping to set a record with a "class" tippet, or 2) you want a tippet you could possibly break if necessary. Am I missing something?

·
K-Roc
199 Posts
Yeah that and if the line wraps around your finger while you're trying to clear your line you might be very happy that there is some 20 lbs tippet in your leader.
I'm going to be tying up some leaders to take to the Keys in April and was probably going to use 3 ft of each of the following in Rio Hard mono, 40lbs., 30 lbs., 25 or 20 lbs. with 3 ft of 60 pound fluoro on the end… Bruce Chard has a cool video on how to build bonefish leaders, i think you could modify his style to be good for the 'poon as well.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Rather than butt, "class tippet" and shock/bite tippet sections, with fancy connecting knots, why not use a simple, straight piece of 80lb. flourocarbon? Fewer knots to fail. If the fish are not spooked by 80-100lb. shock tippet to the fly, why would a longer piece be a problem? Only two reasons come to mind: 1) you're hoping to set a record with a "class" tippet, or 2) you want a tippet you could possibly break if necessary. Am I missing something?
IMHO you are missing nothing. A lot of people I know fish for tarpon with a straight 80-100lb in cuba, etc

G

·
I'll bet they aren't surgeons or pianists either. I know a lot of guys do it. That doesn't make it smart. Get the line wrapped around your thigh when clearing the line and you might be going for a ride. Tarpon leaders also require different knots than a bonefish leader. Do a little searching around on the web to find out what experienced tarpon guys are using and tying. By the way, in the Keys very few guys are using 80# class any more. In fact, I only occasionally use 60#. Just as the flies have moved from 4/0-5/0 down to 1/0 and even sometimes smaller, the class tippets are now often 40#-50# FC. Spooky fish!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'll bet they aren't surgeons or pianists either. I know a lot of guys do it. That doesn't make it smart. Get the line wrapped around your thigh when clearing the line and you might be going for a ride. Tarpon leaders also require different knots than a bonefish leader. Do a little searching around on the web to find out what experienced tarpon guys are using and tying. By the way, in the Keys very few guys are using 80# class any more. In fact, I only occasionally use 60#. Just as the flies have moved from 4/0-5/0 down to 1/0 and even sometimes smaller, the class tippets are now often 40#-50# FC. Spooky fish!
I know. We went down to #40 in the Keys this spring. Sure we got a few more bites, but they all broke off after a few jumps.

I would personally have little problems using a straight #80 if the fish did not mind. KISS

G

·
Well, you know---that happens. If they were breaking off due to a 40# bite tippet my guess is you need to check the knots you're using to tie the bite to your class tippet, which is usually 16# or perhaps#20. The break should naturally appear on the class if it wasn't at a knot. Nobody is telling you not to use straight 80#. We're simply giving you a heads up on some of the serious issues that can happen in an instant and the fact that not many tarpon, in the Keys anyway, are taken on 80# these days. Are you fishing with a guide? If so, let him tie your leaders or at least teach you the type of leader he prefers.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Okay... The first three that broke off from the #40 were tied by our guide. The two after that by me. As we did not hit the fish on the "button" the #40 just came back like sand paper with 8-10" missing. I guess we were unlucky and just deep hooked the fish. Our guide suggested we go up to #50 but behind his back we went to #60... :) Got three to the boat after that.

But no worries, i gotcha.

Btw. They use a lot #120 and #130 straight with the mega tarpons in costa rica and the GT in seychells. Thats mad! :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Btw. They use a lot #120 and #130 straight with the mega tarpons in costa rica and the GT in seychells. Thats mad! :)[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess you are Committed with that set up; you either land the fish or it takes all of your line.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Btw. They use a lot #120 and #130 straight with the mega tarpons in costa rica and the GT in seychells. Thats mad! :)
Well, I guess you are Committed with that set up; you either land the fish or it takes all of your line.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much so. I would not mind loosing all my lines to a fish. It is actually one of my life long dreams to get such a beating from a fish that the arbor knot would say BING!! ;):hihi:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts