Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I have caught a smallmouth with a spey rod, it was by accident. This coming year I am going to target smallies with the spey rod. I can get to smallie water relatively quickly and it will be a good way to practice my spey casting when the steelhead are back in Lake Michigan. I was wondering what thoughts and experiences others may have had smallie fishing with a two-hander? I am planning on using my 13'4" 6/7 Solstice which is currently our lightest spey rod.

David

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
My thoughts

are to try to catch some this spring, as well. I have an 11'7" Meiser for 5/6 that should be a hoot. Your 6/7 might have them "overgunned" a little. I would be interested in hearing how you do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i use a meiser 11'7 567 for smallies on the john day and columbia all the time i think it is a great rod for the job. will not over power the fish but will cast into the gorge winds, i mostly over hand cast in windy conditions.

·
fly on little wing
1,167 Posts
yo David

I target smallies in the "off" season. They are great to catch on a swung fly. They are excellent mending practice. Sometimes they'll take a normal swung fly, sometimes a dead drift and sometimes you need to pick up the tempo and let it rip across. You'll also learn patience on the dangle and key in on subtle fly control.

I use a Meiser 13' 6/7. This does not out gun a 10" smallie. Just remember that they fight different than a steelie. Smallies like to go dig..dig..tug..tug in little burst, steelies rip it out. I did catch my largest smallie this fall (20"+ and at least 5#) while going after early kings. Thought I had a king on at first until 1/2 way into the fight. He really was whooping me. He looked like one of those personal watermelons by his size and stripes. Film is still in the camera. Of course, he ate a black/black voodoofly.

Gary

·
Registered
267 Posts
Smallies

I have been targeting smallies with the spey rod for two years now. I am currently using a CND Custom 6/7wt. I love chasing these fish during the summer when there is very little to know chrome in the river to chase. GRease lining a large streamer is my favorite way to chase these fish. Nothing like a big smallie crushing large fly on the surface.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
The Snowbee Tamar also makes a nice smallie rod. I use a 350 skagit line and Steelhead Muddlers or Bombers.

I also know where some "ole bucketmouths" lurk beneath some overhanging trees on an Arizona impoundment. They will suck up baby Intruders like there is no tomorrow:whoa:

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Dornblaser said:
Gary,

I would like to see a picture of that smallie when you develop your pics.

Best,
David

David,

If you come to MI looking for smallies on the spey, you'd better bring the BIIx, they get bigger. I have a buddy that landed a 28+in fish (no kidding) when we were skipping school and drinking malt liquior back in the day. Measured it on his tackle box, TWICE (14in box). Zebco 202, I swear I saw that thing smoke when that pig was running, made noises like the tranny in my old Jeep.

Them good ole' Tittabawassee River Dow Chemical fed beasts:Eyecrazy:

Loomis 13ft4in 5/6 is my weapon of choice these days.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have only caught two things so far on Spey Rods...

Smallmouth bass, and tree branches.

I have, unfortunately, caught more of the latter than the former, but here is two cents worth from Michigan (and, I think, my first post to the public part of this board).

I have done all my spey-smally fishing so far with a Cabelas 11ft3 6wt. I lined it with a 6 wt Orvis Short head line, and use a pretty basic hand-tied leader of Maxima.

I've had good results with a 1/0 salmon hook, about 8 wraps of .030 lead toward the front, greenish flash-braid material wound over the hook-shank and lead, then basically a 5 inch long magnum natural-colored zonker strip over the top tied in Matuka style with copper wire.

I actually just threw together a few flies like this thinking I would lose them in the trees and was just going out to practice casting for the first few times with 'real flies'....I was struck by how natural-looking the thing was in the water as it struck the different currents and you mended ocassionally. Was pretty surprised at the size of some of the fish that I wound up catching while "practicing" and have stuck with this setup since then.

Hope that helps,

RAMJET
White Lake, MI

·
Registered
143 Posts
>>>White Lake Montague or White Lake Metro?

Ummm. didn't know there was a test!

I live in White Lake township, on a smaller private lake-- North of the greater Detroit Metropolitan Blob, near the Pontiac Airport, just off M59.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.