Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been asked before but here goes:

Is taping the ferrules or rod joints together necessary with Spey rods? I always rub a paraffin wax bar on the male ferrrules when joining my 13.5 foot Orvis 3-piece and have never had the rod loosen up in a full days fishing.

Should I be taping the joints with black electrical tape also??

Thanks for any advise! :)

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,428 Posts
Do a search on "Tape" and you should find enough to read for a month or so.

In short, the answer is yes, you should tape. Some will argue that it is not needed but sooner or later, you will blow a rod up.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
taped rods blow up too taped or not ferrules should be routinely checked no matter what...

J

·
0 Posts
taped rods blow up too taped or not ferrules should be routinely checked no matter what...
But they do so far less frequently if taped correctly. Even Simon's demonstration in the superb Modern Speycasting DVD doesn't show the most effective method. You should lay down a linear piece of tape to connect the ferrules first and then spiral wrap over that. If done correctly, ferrules will not loosen up in a day's fishing, though I still check them periodically out of habit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah, taping is probably good advice although I don't always do it myself. Paraffin seems to hold things together quite nicely. I have however, had a couple of incidents with single handed rods when throwing vigorous roll-casts where the rod came apart. Did not break but came apart. With the increased force on spey rods I think taping is just cheap insurance. Thanks for the reminder.

J

·
0 Posts
It's not so much the rod that's the issue, but the spey CASTING. The torque placed on the blank during speycasting works the ferrules loose. Since I now speycast even in some situations with my single-handed rods, I usually make a point of taping them if I'm river or stream fishing. So, if you're going to be using your switch rod for speyfishing, I'd then tape it.

·
Ichthys
101 Posts
Why Tape?

All the advice is right on the mark; why not protect your investment?

Another reason relates to prevention of lost tips. Many sections of Spey rods are lost when the fisher finishes his day , reels up his line and walks back through the brush only to find that not all of his rod made the trip home. Happens all the time. Not a pretty site!:tsk_tsk:

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Something to thinnk about.

My local TFO rep told me that 85% of broken rods was due to loose ferrules. I would tape the rod. FishHawk

·
Registered
565 Posts
I always tape the ferrules whether using a spey or a switch rod.A buddy lent me one of his sinngle handers once and thought I was nuts when I taped the ferrules. I guess i was on automatic pilot. I also was the ferrules on the evening before every trip and wipe them down afterwards.

·
Vendor
537 Posts
Legacy

On one of the other sites this issue too has been bouncing about...If you look at characters like Derek Brown ,Andy Murray, Simon Gawesworth, Mike Maxwell,Scott MacKenzie and so many of the traditional casters, their presence requires that they tape. The Legacy and tradition of Spey Casting with Two Handed rods demands a certain respect and understanding. Like a good Cigar or bottle of Scotch.
C

·
Registered
200 Posts
If I am only fishing a dawn or dusk patrol I don't tape. I just make sure to check my ferrules every now and then....usually every time I hit a new run.

If I am fishing all day, I tape up.

As Rob Allen stated, check your ferrules frequently no matter if you tape or not. I learned this lesson the hard way and don't want to repeat it again anytime soon.

Also make sure to keep your ferrules waxed up or sooner or later you won't be able to get your rod apart. I use parrafin. I also learned this lesson the hard way a few years ago and one of my shoulders is still not the same from trying to pull the sections apart.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
`taping the joints on spey rod'

why? unless manufacturere specifies and specifies tape and method precisely i see no reason to,one must be accountable and learn the neuances of each blank,some shrink quite a bit due to temp changes(sun going down) others not so much,take nothing for granted and learn each blank,,if you wag each time you ferrel up a section you MAY learn whitch sections MAY need a full tightening to bind together(you can easily feel this looseness by holding the rod while wagging i have one the lower two sections demand a good sinch),,and wag the completed rod,and wag after a few casts the complete rod should be `good to go'but recheck after a few casts and every hour,especially if you are blowing long casts,,,after all the rod IS a tool that you are working,,,and the more sections the more you need to pay attention,myself tape goo and and anything else atracts dirt,i clean each section with mineral spirits and use bent wire with cotton(rod reamers similar to gun barrel cleaners that i've built) to clear the female ferrels and look at the male sections for build up,wear,study those and you'll learn a lot about your piece,,,,,,i'm picky about it but if i can't trust each joint when i lean on it,,,,,to me the joints `are it',,if they blow you're done! but i've never felt i needed any more than understanding what was happening there,,the old rodbuilder books flat stated a joint was a weak spot,,,,,,,,,,,,i rest it there;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts