Spey Pages banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Bots may be on to something. I use butcher’s wax on my rod (usually just once/year), and used the same on a boat building table. I was surprised how easily epoxy drip came off the surface of the table, and may account for why I don’t have any real problems with adhesive residue on the rod.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Well, the amalgamating tape my HV splicing crews use has adhesive, never used the stuff without. It's made by 3M.
I think annealing tape might be the stuff without adhesive ... ??
Looks and feels exactly like the Renfrew tape I buy at Canadian Tire sports department ... it is called "Hockey Tape" on the sign in front of the bin. I never used the stuff when I played hockey ...
I bought a stick of 7 rolls for $8.45 (y)(y)

Mike
I think the the tape I'm thinking of is "self-amalgamating tape" like this: GTSE Twin Pack of Black Self-Amalgamating Waterproof Rubber Repair Tape, 19mm x 5m, 2 Rolls https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0859JW...abc_1XCB082C3TTWDTZ1W5XV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
930 Posts
after i wrote my second post , i went down to the shop and worked on removing the crud . i used , in no particular order , googone , dawn and water , low heat from the hair dryer , ice and a fingernail brush , as well as my handy dish scraper and my fingernails . all i can say is , if i had a choice between hugging a porcupine and doing that , i'd have to think over a spell . over an hour on 1 rod and still plenty to do . and i have 2 more that will need to be done ! 😢 i think that i can attribute my problem to , 1. poor tape , 2. leaving them taped up all summer and then taping over the residue when i went out the other day . what a total PITA . i will def need to change my m.o. if i want to keep the rods in regular rotation , which i do .
it's all about doing and learning , eh ?
many thanks everyone .
What's the finish on your rod? Is it an oil finish or a dipped varnish?
James' rods are tung oil rubbed and recommends a once a year furniture wax maintenance.
I've fished James rods for 10 years now in spey and trout (all spliced in oil finish) and have never gotten any Renfrew adhesive on his rods which couldn't be rolled off with your finger. As stated, I remove the tape every day though.
Aren't Bob Clay's rods varnished?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
i have to clean up 3 rods from tape residue . 2 impregnated scotties and a 13'6 playfair vibration . the scotties are impregnated and to my knowledge have no varnish on the rod . they have the smooth , hard finish of impregnated wood . the plairfair has a varnish on it . older , 40's perhaps . i plan on stripping that rod down , re- whipping and using tru-oil on it . i ordered sportstape this am and i'll get some bronze wool . i have some zippo fluid somewhere in the shop . i'll give that a go as well . i think " polishing " the rods with wax or perhaps brownells to keep the base surface clean is a good idea . i won't keep them taped for any length of time going forward . i have to take them down to travel to steelhead fishing anyways . in the summer i left them taped 'cuz my local river is 5 minutes away and i go down and practice with some frequency , not that you could tell from watching me cast .
i'll update with my results .
thanks folks !

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Well interested in the hockey Shin tape avenue for my carbon fiber Meisers (since I was looking for clear electrical tape), I bought 2 different kinds of tape mentionned in this thread. The "Sports Tape" brand mentioned as being suggested for Bamboo rods, as well as the "Renfrew" brand, and decided to give them a go on a spinning rod to see how they perform. My side to side comparison clearly showed 3 things of interest I'll share, in case anybody is interested :rolleyes::
1- Both Shin tapes leave more residue than does my electrical tape. Not a lot, but clearly a thin layer of residue easily removed.
2- The "Sports Tape" brand leaves less residue than does the Renfrew. Again not a lot less, but noticeable.
3- The "Renfrew" brand tape holds considerably better than does the "Sports Tape" brand. I'm concerned this could cause an annoyance in cold and/ or wet weather where tape grip is more challenging. Even electrical tape sometimes unravels in those conditions.

So bottom line for me is I'm going to give the Renfrew a try as I don't want the tape unravelling when I'm on the river. I never fish for more than a week on end and will deal with the slight residue when I disassemble. Big thanks to everyone here who helped point me in the direction to this clear tape alternative! It looks promissing for my needs!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well interested in the hockey Shin tape avenue for my carbon fiber Meisers (since I was looking for clear electrical tape), I bought 2 different kinds of tape mentionned in this thread. The "Sports Tape" brand mentioned as being suggested for Bamboo rods, as well as the "Renfrew" brand, and decided to give them a go on a spinning rod to see how they perform. My side to side comparison clearly showed 3 things of interest I'll share, in case anybody is interested :rolleyes::
1- Both Shin tapes leave more residue than does my electrical tape. Not a lot, but clearly a thin layer of residue easily removed.
2- The "Sports Tape" brand leaves less residue than does the Renfrew. Again not a lot less, but noticeable.
3- The "Renfrew" brand tape holds considerably better than does the "Sports Tape" brand. I'm concerned this could cause an annoyance in cold and/ or wet weather where tape grip is more challenging. Even electrical tape sometimes unravels in those conditions.

So bottom line for me is I'm going to give the Renfrew a try as I don't want the tape unravelling when I'm on the river. I never fish for more than a week on end and will deal with the slight residue when I disassemble. Big thanks to everyone here who helped point me in the direction to this clear tape alternative! It looks promissing for my needs!
Im curious as to what on gods green earth you would be using this tape on a graphite or carbon rod for. I've never heard of such a thing.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Dunc, tapping the ferrules? I know some think this is abominable.... But for whatever reason (poor casting technique, or whatever), I as well as several others, have rod section twist when casting. The tape keeps the ferrules from coming appart and potentially exploding under load. As well as rod sections flying off info the river (hopefully being caught by the fly). I always tape my ferrules. The few times I've been lazy and not done it, I've regretted it with rod sections coming appart.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Dunc, tapping the ferrules? I know some think this is abominable.... But for whatever reason (poor casting technique, or whatever), I as well as several others, have rod section twist when casting. The tape keeps the ferrules from coming appart and potentially exploding under load. As well as rod sections flying off info the river (hopefully being caught by the fly). I always tape my ferrules. The few times I've been lazy and not done it, I've regretted it with rod sections coming appart.
I’d gotten away from it, and returned to it recently. A few minutes for peace of mind.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,703 Posts
Hmm? I've never had this issue. I wax my ferrules to keep them from getting stuck. If I start fishing early in the day when it's cool and then warms as the day progresses I check the ferrules as the temp change will cause them to come loose. Snug them back down and done.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Im curious as to what on gods green earth you would be using this tape on a graphite or carbon rod for. I've never heard of such a thing.
It's very common practice in the UK. If you've ever seen Simon G's Rio Spey casting videos then he had a short segment on taping up the rod.
In fact the Scottish maker David Norwich used to have in his T&C that any of his rods which weren't taped and broke at the ferrule would not be covered for warranty repair!
I once cracked the ferrule on a Winston BL5 I was using on a steelhead trip in Alaska and doing a lot of single handed spey casting, the tip flew off on a few occasions. I found the cracks on my return from that trip, sent it back in to Winston for replacement of the section.

·
Registered
930 Posts

After I had my first JMR spey delivered in 2012, I started looking for a local (UK) source of clear hockey tape. Interestingly, there are ice hockey leagues here and I found a couple of brands, one of which was Renfrew. It was relatively cheap and so I bought a box of 50 rolls. I contacted James to ask him if it was a good tape, he responded that he had gone through an evaluation of a lot of tape brands and the best that he found was... Renfew! So I scored big on a pure gamble!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
it would only make sense that the renfrew performed better in terms of keeping things tight but is the tape that leaves the most residue . my bronze wool just arrived yesterday . i've been busy processing venison the last few days , and overeating for thanksgiving . i will get some time to work on the rods over the next 24 hrs .
when i purchased my first 2h rod , a loop gass 12'6" 6112 here on sp's , i hurried down to the river , armed with complete ignorance . i began " casting " ( if you could call it that ) and after about 20 mins the tip goes flying , no fly or fuzz on the line and away she goes downstream ! of course loop was happy to supply a new tip and after that i taped my joints .... for awhile . but , being fundamentally lazy , i quit doing the tape . i haven't really had issues with the rods coming apart over a days fishing and i can feel it rather quickly if they are starting to separate .
now , here i am with 3 rods that won't work if they aren't taped !! funny how things go .

41 - 60 of 65 Posts