Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Hi Dave. Had to smile when I read your question.

If you hit the 'search feature' you'll find this topic probably has more posts that almost any question you could ask.

Then add to the mix: 'to wax or not to wax' and you'll double the number of posts.:hehe:

In general, it's a good idea to apply tape, especially if you're doing 'dynamic casts' such as the snake roll, Circle, etc. These kinds of casts put a huge amount of 'tourqe' on the rod connections.

IMHO the best way to tape is to put a strip of tape 'up and down' the connection, then 'over wrap' this. But whether you do, or don't tape your connection points you should ALWAYS recheck same every so often. Even with tape, ferrules will loosen up over time.

Some rods manufactures more than others, polished connectors vs. 'sanded.'

fae

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
YES, very common and highly recommended - standard electrical tape applied as Fred mentions.

You really shouldn't be fishing a spey casting rod without tape on any ferrule you can't reach and check frequently. IMHO it's well worth the peace of mind, particularly on remote fishing trips where getting a spare would not be easy to do.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
tape

When I began spey casting I taped. As I tried to learn ,I put some tremendous force on the joints.I am sure that the tape saved some rods from damage! as I learned to do the casts with a lower level of force and effort I stopped taping. Have not taped in about 3 yrs. have not had any problems in that time. I do parifin the connections . that seems to do the job.Beau

1 - 4 of 4 Posts