Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I guess that this subject about taping ferrule had been discussed many times till now.
However I want to consider alternative idea instead of taping.
I preffer to use wax on joints than taping because I know that tape remove the varnish on blank some time, but waxing allows to be twisted little more than taping and gather the harmful object like sand.
If what alternative idea do you have, let me share your excellent idea.
What about your thinking.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Cloudsfor,

From my experience with the rods I build.

....I will coat all of the male/female ferrules with Trondike U-40 ferrule lube before I ship them, and the section twisting problem is pretty much solved.

Periodic application of the U-40 by the angler maintains them.

I'm not much of a wax fan, as sooner or later it will attract grit......Plus with excess application, and compound coats by the angler, the built up of wax can often cause the female to split.

U-40 ferrule lube will not attract grit, will not build-up, and it will aide in preventing rod section twist as good as, or better then any wax.

The most common cause for ferrule twist, or back off is simply worn ferrules, or ferrules poorly fitted by the Mfgr. right from the start.

That's another whole issue.

Taping is also still a good idea for double security....

Meiz

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great Idea.

Robert,
Thank you for your great know-how.
That is what I want to see.
If U-40 can secure the each ferrule tight, I wonder whether it has a problem to separate and to accelerate the wear of each ferrule.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Cloudsfor,

The U-40 has a very good track record....It's been around for a long time, and many rod builders/anglers use it on their rods.

I have not ever seen a situation where it has caused ferrule wear or caused the sections to lock-up.

You could pose this question to the general forum on: www.rodbuilders.org.

I am sure that you will get honest dialog from many that have used this product.

Meiz

·
Registered
150 Posts
At the start of each fishing season, I will apply a thinn coat of candle was to the male ferrel.

I then put tape from the edge of the female joint upwards for about 3inches, I then put the same length of tape along the varnished section of the male joint, untill the tape reaches the carbon spigot. These two lengths of tape stay on the rod all year. When it comes to taping the joints at the river/loch, you are taping over tape and not the varnish. This should dramaticaly reduce the loss of varnish.

The combitnation of wax and tape should be a safe enough option. :) :)

Gordon Armstrong

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Robert,
Thanks for the advice of website.
Among the articles about U-40 Ferrule lube on 'www.rodbuilding.org', I have read the article which it will destroy the finish of the St.Croix SCIV.
Is any other careful notice for using U-40 Ferrule lube there?
And do you happen to know the e-mail address of Trondak?
Though I have tried to find it, I couldn't find...

Gorden,
Your way that is assembled with taping and thin waxing is another good alternative idea.
Especially fixed taping portion on varnished section would prevent removing the varnish or surface finish of the rod than other often repeated taping and removing way.
Although I guess it can be applied on spigot jointed rod, I am also using the rod with spigot ferrule, so I think I can apply and try your way.
Thank you.

cloudsfor

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Cloudsfor,

Google Search: Trondak Inc.

It will take you right to their site.

Their company is in Everett,WA.

If you wish you could E-Mail direct to Ralph O'Quinn via the site.

He has developed all of Trondak products.....Please say hello to him for me.

A very good man !!!

Not sure what to say about the St.Croix situation.

...... I have never run into this, nor any problems, so I have no precautions to give you about the product.

Best to ask Ralph himself.

Bob Meiser

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Robert,
Thanks to your advice, though I could find the website of 'Trondak', there is no e-mail address anywhere in website...
If you know, may I ask you a e-mail address of 'Trondak' or Ralph O'Quinn?

cloudsfor

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
cloudsfor

The U40 ferrule lube is carried by Angler's Workshop. You can Google to find it, as they are not a sponsor.

the product contains acetone, so any finish that is damaged by acetone would need to be used with care. That said, there really should not be a problem, if you use reasonable care. The joint has no finish and you have to be sloppy to get any on the finish of the rod. The usual precautions about any organic solvent would apply - it is flammable and should be used with adequate ventillation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ted,

Thank you for your advice.
I think it is very important advice to fishermen using or having intention to use 'U-40 Ferrule lube'.
As you said, I think it needs more attention to use on 'Sleeve ferrule' that is finished.
By the way I couldn't find the e-mail address of Trondak Inc.
Anyway Thanks again.

cloudsfor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.